Ribena cider - what went wrong?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruce674

Reaction score
I made the following recipe, http://freepdfhosting.com/75ad2318e9.pdf and everything went well. 2 weeks after bottling i had a taste and it was superb, brilliant strawberry ribena taste, just enough fizz.

However, a couple weeks after that, the brew began to have a very sharp, very sour taste. Eventually it became so sour it was pretty undrinkable and everytime i opened a bottle, the brew erupted!

not sure what happened here? Has the apple juice 'gone off'? Has fermentation continued significantly while carbonating?

Help please :hmm:

any un-fermented sugar fermented in the bottle, that would be why it erupted. try sweetening a bottle was some sugar and see if all is better.

did you stabilize after fermentation

So i should have left primary fermentation a bit longer? or perhaps put too much sugar into fermenter (I may have upped sugar in order to up abv, can't remember).

No i did not stabalise, how would i do that?

it more than likely had not finished fermenting, you should always stabilize wine then if you like it a little sweet you dont get this problem

then its down to over priming, or not letting it full ferment before adding priming sugar. ever way you ended up with too much sugar in the bottle, the bitter taste is just down to not using some sort of none frementables sweetener.

open a bottle and add a little sugar and try it, i alwas add a little bit of sweetener before bottling

Latest posts

Back