Fizzy red wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lukechambers8

Reaction score
Hi guys, new to the site.
I think I made a mistake on my first 30 bottle kit of red wine and didn't degas the wine well enough before bottling resulting in corks firing out. Can I put the bottled wine back in the bucket and add restat yeast and then degass and bottle again.

Hi mate (and welcome!),

We would need a lot more info on the process you followed:

How long in the primary fermentation vessel (fv)?
Did you stabilise and/or add finings?
How long in the secondary fv?

It sounds like to me that it hasn't been stabilised and it's been bottled way too early and... it's still fermenting in the bottles - hence the gas!

If that's the case, for a recovery I would:
Pour it very carefully (down the side slowly) back into fv.
Fit an air lock and leave somewhere warm for another couple of days.
Once it has def stopped fermenting, add stabiliser, finings and thoroughly de-gas.
Let it stand somewhere cool for at least 5 days (preferably 7 or as per kit instructions)
Bottle carefully (avoid splashing in bottles).

Make sure everything is thoroughly sanitised again - avoid any splashing to keep air/oxygen out of it as much as possible.

Good luck :-D

It spent 2 weeks in FV, I didn't put into a secondary FV as it was otherwise occupied with a bitter,I added stabiliser and finings gave it a good mix and then left for a few more days to settle again on the kitchen table.
The bottles could have been uncorked for a few hours at a time but I would check them regularly and recork them as soon as I saw one missing

Do you have a hydrometer? They can be bought from places like Wilkinson's for about £3, well worth the investment. You can test your wine to see if it has fermented out, they are easy to use and a test/trial jar is handy if you are fermenting in DJs, it's just a long glass or plastic tube, again about £3.
You siphon off some wine into it put the hydrometer into the wine, give it a spin and read off where the wine level comes on the hydrometer.
Basically 0.990 is dry, 0.995-1.000 is medium 1000-1010 is sweet.
Saying all that if you used stabiliser and finings only leaving it a few days before you bottled it might be your problem just as 'baggybill' said.
I like to leave a 30 bottle brew for a week after stabiliser and finings, it's usually clearer and I suppose means all the yeast is well and truly deadified.

Back