Brewing Sugar To Replace Table Sugar?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eezybrewer

Beer Brewers Party Member
Reaction score
If I wanted to replace table sugar with brewing sugar in a recipe, do I use the same amount or would I need more or less brewing sugar?

If I wanted to replace table sugar with brewing sugar in a recipe, do I use the same amount or would I need more or less brewing sugar?

The same amount.

They are chemically identical and I would substitute the cheaper table sugar (made from beet or cane) for the expensively marketed maize derived brewing sugar, myself.

I keep asking why I am wrong in my simplistic view and welcome any comments.

Thanks for the replies. The reason I ask is that I have a good amount of brewing sugar in stock so I will use that for the white table sugar that is listed in the recipe.

Brewing sugar is dextrose. Table sugar is sucrose.
Weight for weight sucrose is 109% more effective than dextrose.

So you need roughly 10% more brewing sugar

Thanks, Simian, it appears that dextrose has the "added value" feature of extra water that all modern supermarket chickens exhibit.

Here is a link that I hope offends none of the sponsors

https://www.cargillfoods.com/emea/en/products/sweeteners/dextrose/chemistry/index.jsp

The way to get dextrose from sucrose is to dunk it in water. Scientifically, of course.

Our friend the yeast has evolved to perform this trick, but it does take it a little time.

The thread on making Belgian candi sugar explains this quite well.

Yes it's a mono hydrate, which goes some way to why you need a little more

The yeast don't need to break it down like they do sucrose so that the benefit of it, apparently

Personally I find sucrose better, mainly as it's always in the jar near the tea

There's a thread on here somewhere that states if the yeast has to go that extra step and break down the sugar, then this causes a yeast by-product that's suspected of being behind the 'homebrew twang' in a drink.

Don't shoot the messenger... scared me off of using plain table sugar though :oops:

Back