Black IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hops_and_Dreams

Landlord.
Reaction score
Fancied doing a Black IPA today, so went with this:-

2.5kg Maris Otter
1.5kg Light DME
0.25kg Chocolate
0.20kg Carafa III

IBU 63
Target OG 1056
Actual OG 1058
Colour 33 SRM

25g Columbus 30min
10g Amarillo 20min
10g Citra 20min
15g Amarillo 10min
15g Citra 10min
15g Amarillo 5min
15g Citra 5min
30g Amarillo 0min
30g Citra 0min
30g Amarillo 7 day dry hop
30g Citra 7 day dry hop

1tsp Irish Moss 15min

Rehydrated 12.5g Mauribrew 514 and pitched at 22c

1058, another big boy Hops. It'll be interesting to see how the Mauribrew goes, I'm starting the hot weather yeast a week today, maybe. I thought I'd chance this one with a Wilko Gervin and it's been fine for the last week, it's ranged from 19.5 - 22.5 so well within spec and I think I'll get away with it. I'm half tempted to run with another ale yeast but that would take me to 20th June and I think that may just be the very limit of what the Ale yeasts can manage temperature wise . I do like your use of Columbus for the bittering and the Amarillo and Citra throughout the rest of the boil and the dry hop, I think you're going to have a corker IPA on your hands with this one, so I'll be waiting for a tasting report when you do get it in the glass ;-). Good luck with it Hops.

Cheers Larry. Yeah I've not used this yeast before, so will be interested to see how it ferments. I was in two minds about using US-05, but I think it's supposed to get a bit warmer soon, so played it safe.

I'm looking forward to this hop combo, so should have a good beer in a few weeks. Not used either before.

You gonna try a partial mash next?

Black IPA rocks! Everyone should do one. Just cracked the first of mine (mainly Citra with just a few g cascade dry hop). It's bloody awesome. Even better than my last AG brew. It's all fresh hops but with roasty malt too. Getting much closer to the kind of hop levels I want in my beer, and great bitterness.

Cheers!

Pic:

image.jpg

By 'second FV' I assume you mean a second 25 litre FV. Surely you've got a few 10s and 5s ? Or is it just me :whistle:

Haha, no, I've not got any smaller ones. Although I do fancy doing an oatmeal stout later in the year, but I don't want 20ltr of the stuff, so might get a 10ltr one and do AG.

Well this yeast is certainly a fast starter! Pitched about 14hrs ago and the krausen has already been and left a nice 3" ring around the FV.

Cheers Larry. Yeah I've not used this yeast before, so will be interested to see how it ferments. I was in two minds about using US-05, but I think it's supposed to get a bit warmer soon, so played it safe.

I'm looking forward to this hop combo, so should have a good beer in a few weeks. Not used either before.

You gonna try a partial mash next?

It's on the cards Hops, got my pot and bag but I'm still reading up before I plunge in. I do also have some kits to work through first but maybe I'll steep some grain to go with them as a practice and a way of getting used to a new way of working first.

I've only been brewing since Feb and would never have dreamt of using grain by now, but Clibit's how to guide made it really easy - that's all I went by. And I ask some daft questions, but fortunately there's always someone more knowledgeable on here to answer them!

Well after it stuck at 1020 for a week, a bit of amylase has got it down to 1011 today, so have chucked the dry hops in. Tried them loose this time to see if this has any bearing on the effects, i'm hoping any that get into the bottling bucket will sink to the bottom. Hoping this still turns out Ok, what with all the messing about. Sample still tastes like fermenting beer and not sour/off, so hopefully all good.

Aiming to bottle next sat.

Well after 3 weeks in the bottle, it has turned out pretty well, especially after all the messing about. It's certainly different to a regular American IPA, but I think I'd like to try this hop combo in a pale version too.

Black IPA is my new favourite beer style. It'll change in a week or two though, or when I brew something else.

I think I prefer the clean, crisp taste of the pale IPA. I'm glad I've tried it and I do like it, but I think I'd go pale if I had to choose.

Black IPA is my new favourite beer style. It'll change in a week or two though, or when I brew something else.

I'm starting to get a bit of a taste for this now! Although I am having a few over carbonation issues, maybe it hadn't quite finished. The four inch head is slowly subsiding!

Back