Easy way to sterilise glass bottles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bquiggerz

Regular.
Reaction score
I gave this advice out not long ago and thought I should put a hot to up. Although I haven't tried with with glass bottle @MyQul has. The information I give is based on my experience with making jams. You can sterilise glass bottles using your oven. Anything over 120°c will work.

The first step is to clean your bottles well using your favourite cleaner. Once you have done that you need to load the oven. Make sure you have a timer set to 40 mins.

WARNING - do not preheat the oven as you can burn yourself and/or shock the bottles which will break them.

Once you have loaded up your oven turn it onto 150°Cand start your timer.

Once the timer goes off, turn the oven off and leave for at least an hour before removing them.

WARNING - If the bottles cool too quickly they may break. To prevent this allow ample time to cool and do not put any liquids on then before they are cool to the touch.

Now you can either use the bottles right away or cover them with cling film and a loom band till they are needed.

I hope these instructions are clear if not feel free to ask any questions.

Thanks for reading,

Ben.

I now 'oven' my bottles as standard as originally advised by bquiggerz. I originally did it to kill a wild yeast infection but really like the method so have carryed on doing it. My overall method to clean and sanitse bottles is quite thorough. But ovening bottles can save a lot of time and effort. I don't know of anyone that likes bottling day.

The super quick and easy way I would recommend would be:

1.After pouring a beer rinse out the bottle and drain. A bottling tree/fastrack is really helpful for this
2.Oven your bottles as above.
3. Fill bottles with beer
4.Done

First thing tho I will do a sample run with ONE of my bottles tonight to make sure it survives the ordeal!

Sounds like a plan. Keep us updated and if it does break the bottle let us know what type of bottle you have so others won't make a big mistake.

I gave this advice out not long ago and thought I should put a hot to up. Although I haven't tried with with glass bottle @MyQul has. The information I give is based on my experience with making jams. You can sterilise glass bottles using your oven. Anything over 120�c will work.

The first step is to clean your bottles well using your favourite cleaner. Once you have done that you need to load the oven. Make sure you have a timer set to 40 mins.

WARNING - do not preheat the oven as you can burn yourself and/or shock the bottles which will break them.

Once you have loaded up your oven turn it onto 150�Cand start your timer.

Once the timer goes off, turn the oven off and leave for at least an hour before removing them.

WARNING - If the bottles cool too quickly they may break. To prevent this allow ample time to cool and do not put any liquids on then before they are cool to the touch.

Now you can either use the bottles right away or cover them with cling film and a loom band till they are needed.

I hope these instructions are clear if not feel free to ask any questions.

Thanks for reading,

Ben.

Is this 150° for fan assisted or without fan?

Ive got a fan assisted oven and I put em on 150C like the guide says

Okay, I will do that now, too. I think with fan it really becomes more like 170, but if that's what you do I'm sure it'll be fine. It's glass after all :) Do you put the bottles in wet though? from rinsing

How long should you leave sterilising solution in bottles or demijohn. I have seen videos where they tip it in and then straight out again.

It's easy. Just a faff.

I plan on giving this a go this weekend, idea is to oven them heat sterilise them tonight and leave them in the oven until I bottle in the morning by which time they will be plenty cool enough.

Anyone foresee any problems with that approach?

I meant to do this with at least the last two brews, so no guarantee I will do it this time!

One advantage ovening/baking bottles has over some sanitiser solutions is then sanitisers don't always kill wild yeast. So if you ever get a wild yeast infection (like I did once) ovening will definately do the job

just done this with bottles with ceramic swingtops and it would appear that some of the white tops got melted! The bottles are still too hot to handle so have to wait until I can inspect this. Won't be able to bottle it this weekend though, until I get new tops...

Okay turns out the Range bottles come with (very well imitated) plastic tops. I was actually lucky, they seem to withstand great heat, nly one melted totally, and one or two others got slightly deformed but are still functioning. I see now though what you mean with bottling day... how do you handle things, I mean literally, with your hands and contamination? I obviously washed them, then used anti bac hand gel and once I put the red rubber stoppers over the caps (what a pain!) I wiped them again with vodka. Is that enough or should I wipe or soak them in steriliser? Next time I will take the whole swing top off and just soak it in steriliser with the rubber stoppers still on.

Latest posts

Back