I'm on a roll...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MEB

Landlord.
Reaction score
OK. I've decided i'm going to do a Stew and split my brew over two days. Which i think is a very good use of my and my brewery's time. This has come about due to the lack of time i'm going to get over this summer season. But as i'm filling dive cylinders for half my evening i can get 4 hrs of brewing in at same time.
The recipe thus far-i've only worried about the grains, i'll sort out a hop schedule tomorrow. :cool: I plan on utilising the first 15L for a strong brew and the rest for a session beer. Wish me luck, i'm going in...

40L batch. Est OG 1046.

4000g MO(mine is poorly crushed and gets about 60% efficiency)
3500 Golden Promise(I like this malt a LOT)
200g Wheat Malt
150g Amber Malt
150g Crystal
50g Brown Malt

This will be mashed for 2 hrs @ 67C. It's a mish mash of malts but i thought i'd try to incorporate a few malts for the first time ever in a pale ale. First time for me that is. Off to weigh out the grains. Feel free to throw up some ideas for hopping. Should i go trad with Fug and Gold or more modern and utilise some of my Fab NZ hops??? I usually aim for about 35-40 IBU's with a Pale Ale thats medium-ish on strength. More for stronger. Silly amounts for Historic. Actually i've got enough Styrians to do a one hop Styrian Pale Ale. I like that idea...

Mash has 30 mins left. Wifey is having a 'i'm gonna winge about everything' night. :roll: So i'll be glad when dinners ready and i can **** off back out to the brewery.

Another for Styrians...EDIT and another for Styrians. Which calls it a white wash to me. Styrians it is.

I'm going to see what the gravity is like for the first 15-20L and collect that separate from the rest. If the rest is too low i'll add the first wort to it but if it's ok i'll boil the first as a strong brew, hop with whatever cones i have left. Sticklebract and Green Bullet probably. To about 140-160 IBU's and leave it for 6 month's in bottles. Then use the remaining for a Styrian slapper. You could never call any of my beers a stunner but slapper suits them perfectly. :lol:
Actually hazy. flat slapper would be more appropriate. :rofl:

I mashed in 8kg grains to 20L liquor. I can't fit any more in the MT. It's full. Capacity states 33L. It held 67C for an hour without losing one C. Happy with that. 12 mins till sparg.
AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MEB runs off arms flailing... ********, ****, ****, ****. I forgot to refill the HLT. 6 mins to go from a 2hr mash and now i've got to wait for the HLT to come up to temp. About 20-25 mins. So much for a few hours this evening. It's gonna turn into 6. :cry:

Bloody wifey moaning about nothing worth moaning about got me sidetracked. :roll: I did make a good pasta though and have now locked myself in my office with a beer. :cool:

We've all forgotten the hlt at some stage mate ;) I'm a big fan of Golden Promise in pale ales myself :thumb: Hope the rest of the brew goes ok for ya. I'd like to try boiling the first runnings separately and hopping it to hell and hiding the bottles for 6 months.

i've forgotten the HLT too mate.. you're not alone

have a good split brewday mate :thumb:

PS, styrians FTW ;)

BS do you just put the lid on your boiler and then boil the next day or do you fridge it overnight?

I'm off to weigh out the hops and see what i've got left hop wise. If i'm going to first wort hop, which i do on all my Pale Ales then i need to get these sorted tonight too. This is starting to become a new learning curve and i'm getting right into it. Especially the idea of using the first runnings, hopping them solid and then bottling the stuff for consumption in 6 month's time. Like my 1837 IPA i did. That is the best beer i've ever tasted and i have one left for my B'day. :party:

Back in a bit...

no i collect my runnings in fermenter buckets and snap the lids on tight to keep them sealed, and just leave them in the brewery (garage) over night. i don't refrigerate them.

are you planning on FWH in the collected runnings tonight? personally i just do it as normal and FWH in the boiler while waiting for the boiler to warm up tomorrow.

Ta BS. I'll leave the wort in FV's overnight in the brewery(garage) as well.

I'm gonna sort out the hops and weigh out the FWH tonight and leave a bit of masking tape with FWH written on it on top of boiler so i don't forget. I'm forgetfull. :roll: I think. :wha: :lol:

Sparging is going well- i can see it all working from where i'm sat. :cool: :cool: :cool:

I've collected 12L so far at 1085 so i'm probably going to use the first 20L as a brew and the rest as another. The wort is incredibly sweet and yummy tasting. :thumb:

Oh well, it was about time i had some 'issues' whilst brewing. They've been going all to smoothly of late. I decided that rather than try a new technique on a new technique i'd just aim for a 40L batch. Everything was going fine untill my 50L FV decided to leak from the tap. So all was decanted into various containers. I refit the tap and the same issue occured. The tap fitment on this FV is **** and i'm going to need to do some major surgery. Which i don't really have the time to do at 1am when i'm up at 6am to sort out stuff for the boat. :roll: So i've been forced to leave the wort in a very slightly weeping FV. I need more containery things for wort.
But the good news is that i have 43L of 1045 wort. Which i'm well pleased about as i used 3500g of crappily crushed MO that is currently giving me really low efficiency. I also tasted the first of my Optic brew-incidently turns out to be Golden Promise and not optic anyway. :roll: It's bloody good. It's gonna be FAB in a couple of weeks. :D

Unfortunately Wifey tells me we are going out tomorrow(WTF!) and i have loads of stuff i've got to do first. Which is F-ing annoying as it means the wort might get left till saturday before i can boil it. Don't you just love it?

Aye, brewdays would get a bit boring without the odd drama or two...

If your leaving the FV for a couple of days are you sure you wont lose too much to the leak? I had a tap go the same way not so long ago and thought I had time to cycle to get my newspaper and deal with it when I got back. After a 30min bike ride I had lost a gallon :eek:

The leak is a very small weep now. I've just been to check again and it's not too bad. Saying that it'll prolly go tit's up now and leak everywhere. :roll: But i'll sort it out in the morning. I've had a few beers tonight and i don't wanna make it any worse by half heartedly messing about. I'll drill a bigger hole and fit a nice SS ball valve i have kicking about. I'm gonna have a hectic day tomorrow. :(

Latest posts

Back