my water bath set up

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theskipper1

Reaction score
Hello all
I have decided to take the advice given here to brew my wort in a water bath and this I have to say is the correct advice ��" so I am using a 30 litre blue jam butt with the black lid and sealing ring primed with 24 litres of warm water ,
My 25 litre standard brewing vessel with screw top drops right in it with the delta therm25 watt heater dropped in through a 28 mm whole in lid, there is also a 30 mm hole in the centre to allow my air lok pipe out and the temp holds steady at 18 degrees even in my garage at minus 6 degrees,
I have always used the immersion heater direct in the wort however after reading threads here I was prompted to check the cleanliness of the heater and was alarmed what I found trapped under the rubber housing the water bath is therefore the way forward from now on .
Cheer’s Steve

20160124_111710.jpg

Remember to syphon off the water bath before syphoning your beer from the Fv. Otherwise as you empty the beer out the FV starts to float and tips, risking the 'dirty' waterbath water getting into the FV. I speak from experience

I just switch off the the heater then lift the FV out of the water bath before I do anything.
And I add a couple of small sloshes of 5% bleach to the 10 litres or so of water in my Wilko trug bath to prevent green biological growth forming which sometimes occurred before I did this.

You risk disturbing the trub by moving the FV, fine if you are then popping it somewhere for a while to re-settle before syphoning your beer out. If you intend syphoning out straight away, not moving the FV is probably best. Just a minor point though.

I have always used the immersion heater direct in the wort however after reading threads here I was prompted to check the cleanliness of the heater and was alarmed what I found trapped under the rubber housing the water bath is therefore the way forward from now on .

I have seen immersion heaters discussed several times here and have always thought they would be difficult to clean/sterilise.

The container your blow off tube goes into has a bung in the top, is there a gap to let the CO2 escape?

Hi many thanks for advice
I have included a pic now so mine can't tip as it's snug as a bug in there I use a couple of pieces of insulation (foam ) to keep the fermenter in the centre and it all works a treat I like the idea of a slosh of bleach though to keep the bath sweet and will be adding shortly ..... not sure whether to try a slightly more powerful heater say the 50 watt the 25 seems to be holding fine I do have it turned up max and it is I think constantly on or possibly use two one each side though surprisingly the temp seems to be stable right around the vessel ...

Yes I drilled a hole in decanter for breather ... thank you for asking though ...

Back