More Advice Required Please

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jw6520

Reaction score
I started a cordial wine last friday (23rd July) evening. It started bubbling slowly over the first 24hrs but since then it has been bubbling nicely. :)

I have read various posts and I am a bit confused as to what steps I should be taking next and when.

Do I need to transfer from the primary fv to a secondary fv and continue to ferment? Or do I leave in the primary fv until fermentation has stopped and then transfer to a secondary fv and allow to clear?

Could you also advise if I need to add CT/finings and when to add these if this is the case?

Cheers

John

I wouldn't transfer to secondary until fermentation is almost over (less than a bubble per min and/or SG below 1.000), each time you transfer you lose some of the original brew which you then usually top up with water, sugar syrup or fruit juice. I like to get rid of as much sediment in the first transfer as possibly and avoid over diluting the wine from constant racking (some country wines need multiple racking but cordial wine shouldn't).

Use 1 CT crushed to powder in the bottom of the new J each time you rack, it does no harm and can prevent infection.

If you're looking to clear the wine and its fermented to the SG you want, then add 1/2tsp wine stabiliser with the CT to prevent further fermentation. Then degass for a few days before adding finings. Some wines drop clear in a few days without finings, others can take months. If you're in a hurry, finings are the way to go.

Latest posts

Back