Home Brew Competition - January 17

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The category for January 17 is Stout/Porter

Style Guidelines:

Stout/Porter
(Includes Sweet Stout, Dry Stout, Oatmeal Stout, English Porter and variations of these such as Chocolate, Coffee, etc.. Does not include Imperial Stout or Baltic Porter)
Stouts/Porters should have an OG of between 1.040 and 1.065 and 20-50 IBUs. Stouts/Porters typically exhibit a malt based flavour/aroma with a roasted element more prominent in stouts and a bready/biscuit quality in porters. Hop intensity is generally low to medium, although some use higher amounts to balance the roast elements. Stouts/Porters range from sweet to dry, have medium to full body, and generally have lower levels of carbonation.

You can see all style guidelines here: http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=64366

Judge: @peteplus1

If you'd like to enter please send a PM to the judge who will provide you with a delivery address. Entries must reach the judge by Tuesday 31st January and feedback will be provided by PM within a few weeks. The winner will be announced on this thread.

For details of what details needs to be provided with your entry and competition rules please look at this thread: http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=64349

I will have a couple of entries for this. Well got two stouts and a porter. Will have to test my two stouts together and see which one is better

I'm in on this one. Will PM for address once it's ready. I have two variations of the same stout on the go so will see which turns out the best. 😉

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I might keep one of my Christmas beers back for this. I'm not a massive fan but the judges might be. It also depends on the status of my PB milk stout - I don't know if I'll get a brew on over Christmas or not.

I brewed a porter for this that I tasted the other night, its a bit young and tasted very disapointing:-(
ive one bottle of really nice porter left in the shed but it two months old already so a bit risky.
We'll see. I've a beer to brew for my self in the next few days so I suppose I could get something else on over xmas..

:cheers:Ive also got a feeling there could be some reel big guns out for this one. If I could sit in on one tasting it would be this one

I bottled a batch of oatmeal stout yesterday so I'll be entering a bottle of that. No idea what it's gonna turn out like though!

I might have 3 for this, is that going to be allowed?

Also, did we ever clarify if clones are acceptable?

Clones are accepted as stated in the rules I believe. I put a brewdog pale forward for the one just gone so yes, being them on!

Really looking forward to all your entries for this comp. There will be two of us judging and we're both massive stout fans, in all forms! Hoping for some diversity too... I know Imperials aren't allowed in this category but really hope for some unusual stuff as well as traditional. Always loved the black stuff but recently found an increasing desire for it given what's being brewed now. So get your porters, milk stouts, breakfast stouts etc etc to me via a PM for the address and I'll get honest opinions and as much feedback to you as possible :)

Hope everyone had a good Christmas and sipped, bought, gave and brewed some lovely beer!
I'm really looking forward to judging the January entries to the homebrew competition. If you're entering, PM me for the address and let's get your beers in before the end of the next month ☺

Hope everyone had a good Christmas and sipped, bought, gave and brewed some lovely beer!
I'm really looking forward to judging the January entries to the homebrew competition. If you're entering, PM me for the address and let's get your beers in before the end of the next month ☺

Hi pete

Can you send me your address

I might have 3 for this, is that going to be allowed?

Also, did we ever clarify if clones are acceptable?

Yes multiple entries is allowed but only one can compete - judges will enter your best one. Clones are accepted.

I have a beer fermenting away for the stout competition, I've brewed it before and it came out well, let's hope this one comes out well too!

I opened a bottle of my oatmeal stout the other day (just to check its progress you understand!) It's absolutely flat as p**s. Obviously my warm place isn't as warm as I thought. Bugger.

Back