Co2 or nitro?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wabby

Regular.
Reaction score
Brewing my first stout to keg and wondering how much better it would be on nitro rather than co2?

Anybody dispense on co2 only with tips / pics?

Brewing my first stout to keg and wondering how much better it would be on nitro rather than co2?

Anybody dispense on co2 only with tips / pics?

I'll wager your stout will be far better using co2 than having to resort to the nitro option that a certain brewer favours.

Personally I'm a fan of nitro, however the issue is the amount of extra gear required in a home brew scenario. A pub gas (25% CO2, 75% Nitrogen) cylinder (possibly requiring a different regulator) and a nitro specific tap, with a smaller hole to fprm the tight creamy head are both extra expenses that for a first-brew with a new system, you probably don't want to have to bother with.

I'd go C02, then maybe look at getting the nitro gear when you have a little more familiarity with your system.

I'm considering getting an Intertap faucet with a stout attachment they sell separately as I'd like to have one stout on at any one time in my kegerator. Recent reviews on Brulosophy were positive and mimics the effect of nitro with CO2.

Back