I said it would never happen

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suffolk

Reaction score
When I started home brewing beer last July, I said I will just do the odd kit.

I would not bother doing anything else
A month later I tried my first Extract (never saw that coming)
This week I am seriously studying Yeast strains.
I remember somewhere that I said I would only do kits

Hi!
Resistance is futile.

image.jpeg

It's a sickness. I started in April with a FV bucket and a stockpot thinking I'd do the odd kit.

Now it's all Grainfather, chemistry books, fermenters everywhere, dedicated fridges etc. etc.

I keep telling myself that I'm saving money...

It's a sickness. I started in April with a FV bucket and a stockpot thinking I'd do the odd kit.

Now it's all Grainfather, chemistry books, fermenters everywhere, dedicated fridges etc. etc.

All that time you spend brewing is time that you're not spending doing a more expensive hobby, so you are in fact saving money.

You are obsessed SIR
That will never happen to me (grainfather)
I will not do any more than Extract

...cost it out. How many pints x per week x pub prices + taxis+ kebabs - your brewing kit - consumables = a tidy sum saved!
Plus by staying in you don't have far too crawl,no dick heads (mates depending),clean facilities, stay as long as you like...
In fact staying in IS the new going out and my above equation,if correctly manipulated,can convince even the most whiley other half you are quids in!

Cheers

Clint

Well if you're doing extract then you are only a piece of muslin cloth away from from BIAB, why not give it a little try :whistle:

All that time you spend brewing is time that you're not spending doing a more expensive hobby, so you are in fact saving money.

I was, foolishly, only thinking in terms of cheaper beer.

I shall relay this new information to SWMBO :lol:

...cost it out. How many pints x per week x pub prices + taxis+ kebabs - your brewing kit - consumables = a tidy sum saved!
Plus by staying in you don't have far too crawl,no dick heads (mates depending),clean facilities, stay as long as you like...
In fact staying in IS the new going out and my above equation,if correctly manipulated,can convince even the most whiley other half you are quids in!

Cheers

Clint

The best thing about this formula is that the more you brew (and drink) the more money you save. :mrgreen:

I swear I buy more beer for "research" than I ever used to!
Funny you do get to that stage which has loads of positives,
1 Buying beers allows you to accustom your pallet to what's on offer should it be a Lager,Ale or Stout in various combinations.
2 Gives you the freedom to pick and choose what to buy and not to buy again.
3 Buy bottles and recycle.
4 Gets your brain working as to how can I brew that causing your brain to become more active and therefore expanding your horizons as to what's out there.
5 Gets you socially active on a forum talking about your now favourite hobby becoming obsession and being totally intrigued at the wonder of what's going on out there and who,how,where and why,!!!!!
🍺👍👌

Sent from my ALE-L21

Well if you're doing extract then you are only a piece of muslin cloth away from from BIAB, why not give it a little try :whistle:

I tried this and done a few brews and now look what has happened
I got a new micro brewery system
and I said I was just going to do wilko kits

I started last year with all this thinking of doing a few kits for a bit of fun, now I am reading forums, watching YouTube videos on my lunch and trying to work out what bit of kit I need next. 😀

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I tried this and done a few brews and now look what has happened
I got a new micro brewery system
and I said I was just going to do wilko kits

Me too, I did two kits at the start, found them quite disappointing so thought I'd give BIAB a try and never went back.
I had 3 friends who were kit brewers for a long time, when I told them about AG they all said the same thing "nah I'm happy enough with kits".
So I invited them round for a brew day once and let them taste some AG. Within a few weeks they had set up a 100L stainless steel mash tun and boiler, now a few years later one of them has a fully kitted out brew shed in his garden.
"Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will." :mrgreen:

I started with a Punk IPA AG kit and a couple of stock pots and a fermenter.

I now have a Peco boiler, insulated mash tun, a chiller, a brew fridge 2x fermenters (both cyrrently fermenting beer!) and am busy pricing up a SS 50ltr build...

Only the odd batch I told the wife! 😂😂😂

Divorce may follow! 😂

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I intended to only ever do kits but The Good Lady told me I wasn't allowed to brew until I had read up on what to do (I am pretty bad at picking a hobby, buying the stuff, trying it once then casting it off to the cupboard when I find I'm s**t at it) So after reading John Palmer's How To Brew and countless hours on forums and YouTube videos I went straight into making my own recipe using extract and steeping grains. Was a really simple recipe but it's satisfying knowing that what you brewed was designed and executed by you. I can't wait until I have a bit more space (or a more powerful cooker) to go all-grain.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

I didn't think I had the time, space or money to go AG and planned to only do kits. I then discovered BIAB through this place, and within 3 months of joining had bought some 2nd hand equipment from Gumtree and had a go at a cascade SMaSH. I then muddled together a steam beer recipe after a little research and tasting it was definitely the moment I realised I can actually make beer just as good as a lot of commercial ones.

I still don't really have enough time for AG and struggle to fit brewdays in, but I love it and I'll never do a kit again.

Back