flocculation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint

Forum jester...🏅🏆
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello all..
It's hard not to notice my last two beers..a festival endeavours and a munton midas touch. .have both had very high flocculation Yeasts. ..in fact you can pour the whole bottle and get a nice clear beer.
I've brewed a couple of American styles but the Yeasts tend to be bit more powdery and are difficult to keep out of the glass...
Can you swap these American Yeasts to what I presume are American /us 05 styles and what's the consequences?

Cheers

Clint

I find the Crossmyloof american pale yeast leaves my beer clear in the fermentor after 3 weeks and forms quite a solid cake which is an improvement on 05. Wouldn't a high floc yeast lead to poor / long bottle conditioning ?

My last two have carbed perfectly and dropped very clear ...and taste pretty good too..I'm due an order i think I'll get some yeast off the CML. ..

Cheers

Clint

Last edited:
I recommend their yeast as so do a few others around here. When it comes to clear beer I used to get lovely clear beers when i bottled, not so much now i keg and do all grain, the answer is an opaque glass.

Mangrove Jacks M44 drops clear very well too. Although I've never actually had an issue with US-05 either (it doesn't drop as well ad M44 though). I must have just been lucky!

I find the Crossmyloof american pale yeast leaves my beer clear in the fermentor after 3 weeks and forms quite a solid cake which is an improvement on 05. Wouldn't a high floc yeast lead to poor / long bottle conditioning ?

No the yeast won't drop out until it goes to sleep.

BTW - my full grain kegged beer is crystal clear after about a week - are you using whirlfloc, cold crashing and gelatin fining?

Odd. Most of my brews have been S04, US-05, or Gervin yeasts. Whereas the Gervin is noticeably quicker to stick itself to the bottle bottom, I can't see any difference with the other two. Both also stick to the bottom after about 3 weeks in the bottle.

Can you swap these American Yeasts to what I presume are American /us 05 styles and what's the consequences?

If you want to stick to the style then WLP090 San Diego Super Yeast is the higher flocculating American yeast. If you want the clean American hoppy finish but don't mind using British yeast then both WLP002 (Fullers) and WLP007 (Whitbread B) are extremely highly flocculating and if fermented at 17-18C will finish like an American yeast.

In America they embraced filtering and cold conditioning early on, so their yeasts never got selected for flocculating out and compacting like they did in the UK. This shows pretty clearly with powdery yeasts like US-05.

Although I never use it Danstar's "Nottingham" yeast is reputedly quite a high attenuating, clean fermenting yeast which I presume settles out okay. This is what I might use instead of US-05 from now on. The likes of "Windsor" and S-04 tend to be "muckier" British style yeasts.

The naff photo attached (the battery in my phone/camera had died terminally) is a shot of some WLP002 being prepared for a brew earlier this week. You should be able to make out the flocs in the flasks (like a snowstorm; some say "cottage-cheese") typical of this highly flocculent yeast. But the yeast's estery nature and inability to effectively ferment maltotriose (i.e. fairly low attenuation) make it unsuitable for American styles.

IMG_20171213_130641.jpg

The naff photo attached (the battery in my phone/camera had died terminally) is a shot of some WLP002 being prepared for a brew earlier this week. You should be able to make out the flocs in the flasks (like a snowstorm; some say "cottage-cheese") typical of this highly flocculent yeast. But the yeast's estery nature and inability to effectively ferment maltotriose (i.e. fairly low attenuation) make it unsuitable for American styles.

WLP007 has all the cottage cheese characteristics of WLP002 but has higher attenuation which is good for me because I like a dry beer. My last brew finished at 1.007 with 82% attenuation which doesn't seem out of character if the internet is anything to go by.

Bump

Is there a yeast like US05 which will drop clearer and compact better I wonder?
Nottingham. This one ferments clean and drops like a stone. My beer clarity improved noticeably when I started using Nottingham. I use whirlfloc in the boil but otherwise no CC or other finings:

auEM7Qq.jpg

You can really tell the difference when cleaning a 200L fermenter Nottingham is like a layer of glue, S04 is stuck to the bottom but not as thick while US05 is still runny.

Back