Very Hoppy Falconer's Flight 7C Pale Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vicendea

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I’m going to try an extract & partial mash of a super hoppy American Pale Ale. To save effort and money I’m going to buy a kilo of Falconer’s Flight 7Cs hops, I should be OK to use them alone as they’re a hybrid of 7 hops, and I’ve heard good things, I think I should be good with the hop profile as my favourite beers are West Coast IPAs/APAs.

I’m going for a malty profile with the beer around 5.5%, not too bitter at around 50 IBUs and a massive hoppy hit, so I’m going for the below recipe with hopefully 28 litres ending up in the fermenter.

Fermentables:
3.5kgs of liquid light malt extract
1kgs of Pale Ale Malt
500gms of Vienna Malt
500gms of Wheat malt
500gms of Munich malt

I’ll steep the grain in about 8 litres of water for 60 mins at around 67 degrees C

Hops which are all Falconer’s Flight 7Cs with 9.1 AA%

30gm @ 60 min for 10.43 IBUs
30gm @ 20 mins for 6.32 IBUs
40gm @ 10 mins for 5.04 IBUs
40gm @ 1 mins for .60 IBUs
90gm whirlpool for 20 mins @ 80 C for 29.25 IBUs
100gm dry dry hop for 7 days

I’ll use Mangrove Jack US West Coast Yeast M44 and ferment for a week at 19C before putting the dry hops in for another week

I’ve never done a whirlpool before, but all my reading seems to suggest that it’s the best way to get an extremely hoppy beer. So I will cool the wort to 80 C then throw the 90gm of hops and stir aggressively for 20 minutes, I assume that’s how you do it?

So overall what do you think of the recipe? For the record, I’ve never had any beer that’s too hoppy, so the more the merrier for me. So feel free to criticise or recommend changes!

Cheers

Im not sure you need to stir aggressively for you last hop addition. Just whack em in and leave for half an hour with an occasional stir so that they get submerged. However, should you wish to subject yourself to a rigorous workout don't do it wearing lycra.

Im not sure you need to stir aggressively for you last hop addition. Just whack em in and leave for half an hour with an occasional stir so that they get submerged. However, should you wish to subject yourself to a rigorous workout don't do it wearing lycra.

Haha, OK so stir occasionally, when doing the whirlpool, but what are your thoughts on the overall recipe?

Thanks,

looks good, and IMO an exceptional hop..go for it

From reading the hop does sound right up my alley, so I'm looking forward to it. Do you think the beer will be more hoppy than say Punk IPA? As with all the hoppy beers I drink these days, I'm looking to make a beers more hoppy than that.

From reading the hop does sound right up my alley, so I'm looking forward to it. Do you think the beer will be more hoppy than say Punk IPA? As with all the hoppy beers I drink these days, I'm looking to make a beers more hoppy than that.

I would say so,expert hophead that I am 😂
I’m needing more hops in every beer to taste them,I used to think Sierra Nevada and Williams Bros Joker IPA were hoppy,not now.
Hope all goes well for you,it bloody better with all those hops👍

Thumbs up for the 7c's then?
I've never tried them but I do like qualities that have been described.

I'm actually going to drop the 60 min addition, and drop the IBUs to around 40, as I want it to be to be more hoppy but less bitter than punk IPA which is around 45 IBUs.

Also, does anyone have any advice on how big the boil should be, I was thinking about 10 litres, which then should make it easy to get the 27 litres in the fermenter down to close to 20 degrees? I'm assuming the bigger the boil volume, the better to extract the hop flavour?

Back