Fridges For Kegerator

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gazz

Reaction score
Hello,

This is my first post so I'm sorry if I've posted in the wrong section

I'm looking to upgrade my pressure barrel setup to a corny keg setup and the fridge I'm after has to be able to be:-

The large upright type of fridge

Be able to fit 3 to 5 kegs in plus a gas cylinder

Have head room to store cans and bottles

If there's a pinned post where people have posted what fridge/freezer they have used to make a kegerator/keezer with all the info on how many kegs they fit in / model no. Etc...

Can someone post the link to it please

Cheers gaz

Hello,

This is my first post so I'm sorry if I've posted in the wrong section

I'm looking to upgrade my pressure barrel setup to a corny keg setup and the fridge I'm after has to be able to be:-

The large upright type of fridge

Be able to fit 3 to 5 kegs in plus a gas cylinder

Have head room to store cans and bottles

If there's a pinned post where people have posted what fridge/freezer they have used to make a kegerator/keezer with all the info on how many kegs they fit in / model no. Etc...

Can someone post the link to it please

Cheers gaz

Anyone got any advice thanks?

Hi Gazz,
Do not think there is a sticky with fridge types, the problem your going to encounter is getting the 3 kegs in, most will take two easily but 3 and the gas bottle will be a push.

I have a tall larder freezer that I use as a brew fridge I would possibly get 4 kegs in, pop the gas outside with a line into the freezer. its a hotpoint one.

Most people look on gumtree or EBay (other sites are available) and google internal dimensions. Failing that go in store and find one that would work then go and find something similar.

if you can avoid it dont keep the co2 in the fridge, the higher moisture level (humidity) will not be a good environment for regulators and enlarging the drain hole if neccessary is a simple way of breaching the fridge walls with zero risk of damage..

a handy trick (not my idea) is to cut disks of card the diameter of a corny and tesselate them inside fridges in a show room if your prepared to pay full price for the perfect model.

when considering keg height Dont forget the overhead requiered by the disconnects and beer/gasline that attach too give yourself 3-4" on top too ;)

I got a 2nd hand 6ft Samsung fridge freezer which is perfect. The fridge section is bigger than the freezer section so there's room for 3 kegs and a shelf at the top to store my hops and yeast. I store my CO2 cylinder outside the fridge, mainly cuz it's tall and heavy!

20170817_134555.jpg

20170817_165107.jpg

Have bought Fridgemaster MTL552449_WH Larder Fridge from AO, 144cm tall so not under counter, fits 3 Cornelius Kegs, narrow piping fits through drainhole for gas. Lots of room for bottles, yeast and hops

IMG_2829.jpg
IMG_2830.jpg

Have bought Fridgemaster MTL552449_WH Larder Fridge from AO, 144cm tall so not under counter, fits 3 Cornelius Kegs, narrow piping fits through drainhole for gas. Lots of room for bottles, yeast and hops

View attachment 19053 View attachment 19054
Hi Dozzer,

I've been looking for a similar one, the model number you quote when googled comes up with Fridgemaster MTL55249 Fridge - White. Is this the one you have?

Yes I suspect so, it’s a larder fridge so just make sure it’s the right model the number I quoted was right for mine

Yes I suspect so, it’s a larder fridge so just make sure it’s the right model the number I quoted was right for mine
The model number you quote is not showing on the Fridgemaster website, you seem to have an extra 4 in yours so we can assumed its the same one.

I cant be certain, looks the same, same dimensions and a bit cheaper than when I bought it, and my review is used for that fridge. Id give them a call and ask

Plus if I take out salad drawer and have just two kegs I can fit fermenter on upper shelf, so I’m going to make a lager for the first time ever, going to do Dortmunder Export as that’s what I like . I’ve fitted inkbird and one tap so far, am getting my head around the vagaries of BSP pipe sizes, that was a costly lesson

Plus if I take out salad drawer and have just two kegs I can fit fermenter on upper shelf, so I’m going to make a lager for the first time ever, going to do Dortmunder Export as that’s what I like . I’ve fitted inkbird and one tap so far, am getting my head around the vagaries of BSP pipe sizes, that was a costly lesson
That’s the one, 180 quid delivered from Appliances Direct or 190 from AO. Then will start the build.

For the benefit of others, I picked up an Indesit DLAA-50 under-counter fridge on freecycle https://www.indesit.co.uk/i/cooling/fridges/indesit-dlaa-50-fridge-in-white/f083971

It fits two new style (tall thin: 629 x 213mm) cornies (I got the KegLand ones) perfectly after the shelves are removed. The drain hole can be utilised for a 3/8" gas line so all you need to do is drill holes in the door and mount the taps.

It's my first foray into kegging but this seems to have turned out nicely. The reconditioned kegs are 23cm diameter and may squeeze in but I didn't risk it and I'm happy with the new ones which were only £75 each.

Nice one @simonind.

You might want to look into 3/16" OD tubing for your beer lines. It allows for really short lengths so keeps things tidy inside. Just my tuppence.

Looking forward to seeing photos of the finished article!

I’ve got 3/16” beer lines, gas is 3/8”.

Full of sparkling tap water at the moment as a test but IPA going in at the weekend

Attachments

• 47092B35-9BD2-4995-85C6-414FA6CE6F0D.jpeg
    47092B35-9BD2-4995-85C6-414FA6CE6F0D.jpeg
    23.4 KB · Views: 460
  • 73D8B859-85F0-465D-A4FC-DF04A2BDC3E6.jpeg
    73D8B859-85F0-465D-A4FC-DF04A2BDC3E6.jpeg
    34.2 KB · Views: 566
Not an advert but bought everything bar the gas cylinder from BrewKegTap. Took the guesswork out of it and seemed reasonably priced.

Can't wait to get some beer in it, especially with this warm spell we're having...

Back