Top up water for maxi biab

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rich1985

Reaction score
Hi there,

Was wondering if anyone could help me with water advice. At the moment I'm brewing maxi biab batches and boiling up 10l tap water as top up water.
Is there any reason why I couldn't just save the hassle by buying shop bought mineral water? Or would there still be sanitary issues if I didn't boil this and just used it straight away?

Thanks in advance

Richard

I've NEVER boiled or sanitised my top up water in any way for my maxi biab's, whether straight out the tap or on the odd occasion i've used bottled water. I just chuck (I may pre-treat it with acid/campden tablet if necessary but the reasons for that is not to sanitise) it in to the wort and have never had a problem in 4-5 years of doing this

Brilliant. Think for the sake of 3 pounds this is a much better shout! Thank you for the advice!

I topped up my Maxi BIAB brew on Monday with tap water.
I considered boiling it first, but I really couldn't be bothered. Tap water is safe to drink, and mine is extremely soft, so I don't see any issue with just chucking it in.

Tap water is likely to be more sanitary than bottled water. And fresh tap water is going to have more oxygen for the yeasties than boiled.

Latest posts

Back