Best Turbo Cider to date

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fermentall

Landlord.
Reaction score
Started 5g of tc on 7-1-11.
23lt tesco apple juice
2tsp yeast nutrient
2tsp citric acid
1tsp malic acid
1 lemon (cut into 4)
10 chunks crystalised stem ginger (chopped)
0.5kg sugar
1 sachet Harvest SN9 yeast
SG 1054
Made as usual tc,finished fermenting 11-1-11
next day top 3 inches of fv were clearing so primed bottles with 1tsp sugar and bottled.
left in room at 20c for 3 days then moved to workshop 4-8c until today.
opened a bottle tonight and wahay what a great tasting fizzy cider.I can honestly say that it is one of the best ciders i have drunk& i have had quite a few.very citrus & very dry but lovely & refreshing,finished at 992 so about 8.4ish :eek:.Will be getting some more on highly rated. :cheers:

Hi Ev,no real flavour of the ginger but it certainly adds something to the overall flavour.
I really can't believe just how good this turned out,as good as anything you can get in the boozer by far.
This tc really reminds me of one i was drinking in the Lake District a couple of years ago called Ruby Tuesday and at the time i thought that was an excellent pint.Very Dry & Citrus flavoured,strong at about 8.4% but refreshing and easy to drink.
Definately a Winner imho. :cheers: ken

Hi
I want to try this but have a few questions.

1, what apple juice do I need to use ? freshly squeesed or is from concentrate OK ?

2, what type of bottles can I use ? does it have to be glass or could I use 2ltr PET bottles such as empty strongbow bottles ?

3, once bottled would this cider keep for a while or does it need to be consumed quickly ?

Thanks in advance.

Bully

evanvine said:
Your use of "ginger" is very interesting, can you taste it as ginger, or does it just add to the overall flavour profile?

I've made TC with dried root ginger pieces, adds a real bite at the back of the taste, so you get a sort of ginger beer cider taste going on... works for me! I may now have to try upgrading to this recipe with a bit of additional ginger. :thumb:

Bully74uk said:
1, what apple juice do I need to use ? freshly squeesed or is from concentrate OK ?
2, what type of bottles can I use ? does it have to be glass or could I use 2ltr PET bottles such as empty strongbow bottles ?
3, once bottled would this cider keep for a while or does it need to be consumed quickly ?
1 Apple juice from concentrate, Aldi do "Rio Doro" at 56p/ltr.

2 Any food grade container that doesn't leak! Get a 5ltr water bottle from the supermarket and drill the cap for the fermatation trap bung.
Start off with 4ltrs, then add the fifth after the yeasts maddness.

3 Add 1 campden tablet after ferment over (norm 10 days) and sweeten with "Splenda" to taste. I bottle in 500ml pet bottles as you can pour it all out into a pint glass and leave the sediment behind.

Sorry, for question 2 I meant what bottles can I use for storage not fermenting.

thanks.

evanvine said:
Bully74uk said:
1 Apple juice from concentrate, Aldi do "Rio Doro" at 56p/ltr.

2 Any food grade container that doesn't leak! Get a 5ltr water bottle from the supermarket and drill the cap for the fermatation trap bung.
Start off with 4ltrs, then add the fifth after the yeasts maddness.

3 Add 1 campden tablet after ferment over (norm 10 days) and sweeten with "Splenda" to taste. I bottle in 500ml pet bottles as you can pour it all out into a pint glass and leave the sediment behind.

Fermentall,

I've just kegged/bottled my first ever TC. It was as per your recipe, except I used peeled and chopped root ginger and subsitituted the 500g of sugar for 500g of extra-light spray malt.

I started it on the 24th of Feb, then on the 4th of March added half a pint of cold tea made with three bags. On the 10th I put in five and a half crushed campden tablets.

After cleaning and filling my new cornie, I couldnt help but have a quick taste. bearing in mind that it had only been in the cornie for about 20 minutes gassed to 20psi, it was lovely. The spray malt stopped it fermenting out as dry as the proverbial nun's whatsit....

With a bit more fizz, and cooler this is going to be one lovely drink :)

cheers
Simon

simonranson said:
Fermentall,
hi Simon glad it turned out well for you,i have just finished one with fresh raspberries and it is spot on i will post recipe when i get a bit more time :cheers: ken
I've just kegged/bottled my first ever TC. It was as per your recipe, except I used peeled and chopped root ginger and subsitituted the 500g of sugar for 500g of extra-light spray malt.

I started it on the 24th of Feb, then on the 4th of March added half a pint of cold tea made with three bags. On the 10th I put in five and a half crushed campden tablets.

After cleaning and filling my new cornie, I couldnt help but have a quick taste. bearing in mind that it had only been in the cornie for about 20 minutes gassed to 20psi, it was lovely. The spray malt stopped it fermenting out as dry as the proverbial nun's whatsit....

With a bit more fizz, and cooler this is going to be one lovely drink :)

cheers
Simon

Sorry to be a paint but when you say made in the normal way how was that? I've just made my 1st batch of TC with just juice and yeast but fancy trying this one! I was just curious about if you add it all at once or if the yeast has to be added a certain amount of time after the acids?

just been looking at this recipe, going to try and find the ginger tomorrow

but to try a 5 gallon test pot do i just divide main ingredients by 5 and put in yeast as usual

fermentall said:
Hi Titch just divide by 5 to scale it down but still use a full sachet of yeast. :cheers:

hi just getting this ready for the morning

ill leave the yeast as is but what about the acid?

I really want to do a 5 gall batch of this after doing 1 gall batches of other turbos but have run out of fizzy pop bottles ( the kids and missus are now dead fat and have no teeth) so ,can I pressure barrel it ?

Should I prime the barrel as well as gassing it up with a s30 gasser (which is my next purchase with the money I have saved on dental fees)?

I have no idea why I assume you would have the answer to these questions but I am P issed again.
Cheers ,Spud.

afternoon all hi spud just a quick question mate i see you are drinking pineapple turbo at the mo and was wondering if you wouldnt mind sharing the recipe so i can give that a bash :cheers:

I have just done this recipe. I started on saturday and it started off very vigirous but it has now died a death(wed morning) and is stuck at 1.030 with no sign of any bubbles rising. My only option is to add more yeast in the hope i can save it.

Latest posts

Back