Best Turbo Cider to date

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Generic TC recipe, so far my fave yeast is Gervin D, though tonight's example is quite good and used SB24.
The ones I've done with Young's cider yeast taste like the good-but-not-exciting shop-bought ciders (but I've had that with SB24 as well)
You can split a sachet in half, but not more, in my experience. It'll maybe add a day or two to the ferment.

T'missus wants me to try one with ginger in so I have to re-read this thread carefully now...

hi,want to make this but don't have any malic acid, is it best to wait till i get some. also will a youngs cider yeast be ok.

About to give this a go also. My last 2 ciders have been pretty good but I'm keen to make a sweeter one. Will reducing the amount of sugar (i.e. alcohol) make this a bit sweeter?

cleslie said:
About to give this a go also. My last 2 ciders have been pretty good but I'm keen to make a sweeter one. Will reducing the amount of sugar (i.e. alcohol) make this a bit sweeter?

From what I understand, yes. Less sugar means less 'yeast food' so less alcohol is produced. The problem with turbo cider is that the sugar is already in the apple juice, so you can't really use any less. It seems that the only way to make a sweeter brew in this situation is to add splenda artificial sweetener when you are bottling up as the yeast is unable to turn this into alcohol. You still need to use a small amount of sugar when bottling in order to give it some fizz, even if you sweeten with artificial sweetener.

cleslie said:

There'll be less alcohol so that'll affect the taste, but I wouldn't say it'd taste sweeter. The yeast will use up all the sugar it can get at. Adding some Splenda when you bottle, or serving with a bit of unfermented apple juice, will work.

cleslie said:
Try this yeast, works great...
<<CLICKY>>

Sounds like a good recipe! i may sweeten it a bit though with splenda before i bottle it. i'm not the keenist on dry dry cider.

Latest posts

Back