Mash temps

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ni9e

Regular.
Reaction score
I usually mash at 65-67 0c and have had no problems so far but I have seen some recipies that call for higher mash temps and I was wondering what difference this makes to the finished beer and what would the max temp for mashing be :wha:

Hey ni9e check out the new Brew FAQ button - there is an explanation about mash temp's there :thumb: i'm not sure what the max temp would be though 69 maybe :hmm:

Wez said:
Hey ni9e check out the new Brew FAQ button

Thats the reason I posted this question as I thought the "norm" for mashing was 66 0c but a tad higher/lower was ok but after reading the FAQ I was wondering what the max temp was for mashing and what would the result be after making a brew at the max mash temp.

Ah I see :thumb:

A while ago I had an issue with a brew that i'd mashed at 66c tasting thin, I was advised to brew it again at 68c to get more 'body' - it certainly worked, in my experience 1c makes a difference - of course this is all subject to how well you can control the temp of the whole mash as well.

I've seen recipes requesting a 69c mash but never one at 70c, maybe one of the other guys can give us a definative answer.

By the way feel free to suggest anything that you think we should add to the Brew FAQ section :thumb:

Wez said:
By the way feel free to suggest anything that you think we should add to the Brew FAQ section :thumb:

Will do Wez but its like everything you read something in a FAQ and it opens a can of worms leaving you scratching your head :grin:

I generally mash at 66C for Pale ales and bitters and 68C for strong ales. The difference between 66C and 68C to your beer is quite noticeable. I wouldn't like to mash above 68C as it would make the beer too sweet for my palate.

MEB said:
The difference between 66C and 68C to your beer is quite noticeable.

I am going to have a go of doing a mash @ 68 0c to see what its like :grin:

There are two main enzymes in action converting starch into fermentable sugars (alpha amylase and beta amylase). They work best at different temperatures (alpha in the upper 60s and beta in the lower 60s centigrade). Beta alylase produces more maltose which the yeast can munch rapidly whereas Alpha amylase produces more dextrins which the yeast find harder to munch through.

So a lower temperature leads to more maltose which is more easily fermented so ends up with a drier beer that might be a bit thin on body. A higher temperature leads to a sweeter beer with more dextrins which give a taste of more body.

Simlpe acronym
M.A.L.T

More
Alcohol
Less
Temperature

:thumb:

Cheers eskimobob I think I understand the reasoning of the temps and what would you say the max temp for a mash would be or is it down to my tastes?

ni9e said:
Cheers eskimobob I think I understand the reasoning of the temps and what would you say the max temp for a mash would be or is it down to my tastes?

I have mashed at 68C quite often and like the outcome. I would think anything much above 69 and the beta amylase will be almost entirely denatured so you would end up with a sweet beer that will take ages to ferment out. Go for a mash at 68 and see what you think to the beer ;)

eskimobob said:
I have mashed at 68C quite often and like the outcome. I would think anything much above 69 and the beta amylase will be almost entirely denatured so you would end up with a sweet beer that will take ages to ferment out. Go for a mash at 68 and see what you think to the beer ;)

Thanks for the info will do :thumb:

MEB said:
I generally mash at 66C for Pale ales and bitters and 68C for strong ales. The difference between 66C and 68C to your beer is quite noticeable. I wouldn't like to mash above 68C as it would make the beer too sweet for my palate.

I guess that would be perfect for BS, to complement the lemonade. ;)

72 C anyone?

You can get away with it quite easily . . . but you do end up with a beer with low fermentability. ;) . . . For a mash out it is recommended to exceed 76C although even this is not certain.

The reason why you get away with it is the fact that these enzymes are designed to work at springtime temperatures in the ground . . . we are already using them well outside that range at normal mash temperatures so they are already being denatured . . . but its a half life type of reaction, so even after a 76C mash out there is going to be some amylase activity . .. especially if you mash thick with additional calcium in the mash as this increases the heat stability of beta amylase. . .. of course the activity of the enzymes is reduced . . so it takes longer to convert . . . hence using a high initial temperature for an overnight mash.

Aleman said:
The reason why you get away with it is the fact that these enzymes are designed to work at springtime temperatures in the ground
Always worth remembering that barley didn't evolve this stuff just so we could chuck it into hot water and make beer out of it. Maybe this is proof there is a God, he loves us, and wants us to drink beer?

Or isn't evolution just great? :thumb:

Latest posts

Back