I think he moved to the Lab on a refinery I worked on.
Taking a load of samples to the lab I witnessed one of the Lab Jockeys with his head stuck in the vapour cabinet, with a pipette in his mouth, sucking up Tetraethyl Lead for a planned gasoline blend.
This was the same bloke that had told me a few days before ...
"Work in the refinery? Me? You must be joking. It's much too dangerous!"
For anyone who doesn't realise; the symptoms for the ingestion of Tetraethyl Lead are (according to Octel who used to manufacture it) "You have bad dreams, go mad and die!"
Note: They are the "symptoms" 'cos there ain't no cure!