Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > General Discussion > The Snug > One for our Scottish members.

Closed Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 01:24 PM   #1
Chippy_Tea
THBF_ADMIN.png

Liked 3258 Times on 2598 Posts
Likes Given: 3973

Default One for our Scottish members.

If a second independence referendum is held will you vote the same way you did last time?

Quote:
Nicola Sturgeon 'not bluffing' on second independence referendum
Speaking to Andrew Marr the Scottish First Minister, Nicola Sturgeon, has said the country is not bluffing about holding a second independence referendum.
Ms Sturgeon said that in the case of a so-called hard Brexit "it would be right for Scotland to have the opportunity to decide."
The full interview with Nicola Sturgeon will be broadcast on The Andrew Marr Show on BBC One from 09:00 and later on the BBC iPlayer.
Forum Member Map - https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=2290525#

Old 08-01-2017, 03:54 PM   #2
wfr42

Liked 292 Times on 219 Posts
Likes Given: 342

Probably, unless there was a lot of definite answers.

I still don't understand why we would want to be independent of the rest of the UK but still in the EU.

PB1 - AG15 Pilgrim SMaSH (Barrelled 26/3)
PB2 - AG16 Pilgrim Crush (Barrelled 3/4)

Conditioning
AG18 There's summit out there V2 (Bottled 29/4)
AG17 Chocolate Peanut Butter Porter (bottled 14/4)
Brewferm triple (bottled 19/3)
AG13 Maple bourbon porter (bottled 4/2)

Brews to date - 30

my brewtube ramblings...https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAz...n_RbOnN8N51fpw

Old 08-01-2017, 04:33 PM   #3
GhostShip

Liked 79 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 152

I believe the people of Scotland (and I'm half Scottish) are being seriously let down by Sturgeon and the SNP. It is independence at the expense of all else with them and they've taken their eye off the day-to-day running of the country.

Following the 'once in a generation' independence referendum, they have spoken of nothing else but a second referendum - and Brexit has given them new reason to push for one. I also despise the anti-English rhetoric that comes from many SNP MPs, which verges on racism at times. The irony is, having lived in England all my life, the English generally like the Scots - the ill feeling all seems to flow in one direction.

I really couldn't stand Alex Salmond but I think I'm starting to dislike Sturgeon even more.

Focus on bettering the lives of the good people of Scotland, not on your own political ambitions.
People Like This 
Old 08-01-2017, 06:09 PM   #4
zippy40

Liked 70 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 452

Without trying to offend any SNP voters, I would think that from an economic perspective Scotland would be really, really worse off independent. It took the ROI half a century and the complete backing of the EEC/EC/EU to get itself on its feet. Even now the ROI can only prosper within a strongly capitalist economy, which makes a mockery of the nationalist politicians who are generally left to far left.

If independence was to happen then Scotland would become extremely capitalist to have an economy that survives the upset. This would diminish social mobility and could well mean that the rich get richer and the poor get poorer.

However, Scottish independence will be like Brexit, it is about hearts and minds, logic might well be down the list of priorities.

Only my thoughts on this.

Old 09-01-2017, 01:04 PM   #5
geetee

Liked 675 Times on 489 Posts
Likes Given: 718

It was noted in yesterdays papers that as well as the North Sea oil running out the cost for decommissioning the rigs may run into £20-30 billions. So if they do choose to go they may land themselves with empty wells and a large clean up bill.

Brewing for fun is a serious business!

Old 09-01-2017, 03:47 PM   #6
lagerlad

Liked 60 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I was out for a pint yesterday with 2 mates and we happened to have a discussion about a future referendum here in scotland and also put loads of other things in the world right as probably most of us do with a few pints of happy water inside us,anyway in the previous referendum for independence 2 of us voted for leaving the uk and one stay in the uk....the reason two of us voted for independence is because we thought as an independent scotland we may manage to get out of europe and have ...independence!
Anyway now we are meant to be leaving europe both the independence votes would now go the other way to remain in the union along with a lot of other people here in scotland we have no time for sturgeon and her pro europe agenda and i personally think another referendum would be an embarassment to sturgeon and the snp cheers lagerlad
People Like This 
Old 09-01-2017, 05:43 PM   #7
zippy40

Liked 70 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagerlad View Post
I was out for a pint yesterday with 2 mates and we happened to have a discussion about a future referendum here in scotland and also put loads of other things in the world right as probably most of us do with a few pints of happy water inside us,anyway in the previous referendum for independence 2 of us voted for leaving the uk and one stay in the uk....the reason two of us voted for independence is because we thought as an independent scotland we may manage to get out of europe and have ...independence!
Anyway now we are meant to be leaving europe both the independence votes would now go the other way to remain in the union along with a lot of other people here in scotland we have no time for sturgeon and her pro europe agenda and i personally think another referendum would be an embarassment to sturgeon and the snp cheers lagerlad
I would tend to agree with you there. If she does call a ref and the vote actually swings further to the union then it could make her position untenable and actually undermine the prospect of independence.

Old 09-01-2017, 06:24 PM   #8
Hoppyland

Liked 291 Times on 211 Posts
Likes Given: 180

Would I vote the same way now? I honestly don't know. If and when the question arises for real, then I will know, because circumstances will be a lot clearer than they are now.
Last time I voted for independence. My gut instinct would be to do so again, because the UK seems to be heading in both a political and social direction that I want no part of. However, the economic implications could override this. I doubt it, but I really don't know at this stage of the debacle.

Old 13-01-2017, 04:12 PM   #9
Chippy_Tea
THBF_ADMIN.png

Liked 3258 Times on 2598 Posts
Likes Given: 3973

The title says - One for our Scottish members.

I have removed several post from non Scottish members as i would rather do that than lock yet another thread.

Forum Member Map - https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=2290525#

Old 13-01-2017, 10:35 PM   #10
Tanzanite

Liked 403 Times on 314 Posts
Likes Given: 347

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chippy_Tea View Post
The title says - One for our Scottish members.

I have removed several post from non Scottish members as i would rather do that than lock yet another thread.

If you dont want to get burned dont start the fire ????????
People Like This 
Closed Thread