New brewer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rummynose27

Reaction score
Hi guys I'm new to this thought I'd say Hi, already got my first brew on the go. I bought a starter kit 25L fermentation bucket and a king keg barrel. My first brew is a kit Beer Works English Bitter suppose to taste like Timothy Taylors once it's done, but we'll see. [emoji15] Just added hops today, temperature is around 18 would this be OK even though it says 20 on instructions? I'm also trying to set up a brewing fridge so any advice would much appreciated. Thanks guys n happy brewing [emoji482]

Welcome.
At 18*C rather than 20*C your beer will take a little longer to finish the brewing process from start to finish, so factor that in to your timings, and don't try to rush it. :thumb: And the longer you leave it in the FV the clearer it will be when it comes to bottling, and that helps as you empty the bottle when you get to drink it.

Hi guys I'm new to this thought I'd say Hi, already got my first brew on the go. I bought a starter kit 25L fermentation bucket and a king keg barrel. My first brew is a kit Beer Works English Bitter suppose to taste like Timothy Taylors once it's done, but we'll see. [emoji15] Just added hops today, temperature is around 18 would this be OK even though it says 20 on instructions? I'm also trying to set up a brewing fridge so any advice would much appreciated. Thanks guys n happy brewing [emoji482]

If you're dry hopping, then in all likelihood your primary fermentation is finished(or it should be). A temperature difference of 2°C will not make any drastic change to beer flavours once primary fermentation is complete.

It may affect hop oil extraction, but I would imagine that the difference would be marginal.

As @terrym said, you need to be mindful of timing. If your actual fermentation temperature (not room temperature) has been lower than what is recommended, there is a god chance that your beer is a few days behind schedule.

Always use stable final gravity readings over a few days as an indicator of complete fermentation. Never rely on an assumed number of days given in kit instructions, they are only intended to be a guide.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for the tips I've managed to fashion together a brewing cupboard now, with an Inkbird from Amazon and a little tubular heater from toolstation. Temps at a toastie 20 now n stable, when it comes to conditioning time is there a set temp for this? Or just chuck it in fridge?? Thanks again

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

Keep it in a cool spot for a couple of weeks then in the fridge. If you put it in the fridge directly, carbonation might not happen / it might take longer, depending on yeast, etc..

Welcome! Setting up fermentation control, you're already on your way to becoming good at this! :thumb:

Latest posts

Back