Cloudy Beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pawlo7671

Regular.
Reaction score
Hey all,

So I made up a Finlandia lager kit 500/500 DME/dextrose, brewed to 20l.
3 weeks in primary then I racked to a 5 gallon carboy for 2ndry.
after a week in 2ndry it was crystal clear with vert little sediment at the bottom, I dry hopped with cascade and saaz, and since then its like milk.
Now i'v done this a few times before and this has never happened, i'v crash cooled it for 3 days, still cloudy.
It can't be yeast as it was pretty clear going in to the carboy.
At this point i'm thinking keg it and hope for the best

Any thoughts ?

UPDATE

I'v kegged the *******, took a sample and it tasted gorgeous, even as cloudy as it is it isn't gonna last long.

It's not yeast as it went in to the carboy clear and hit a good FG plus I had an airlock on the carboy and there was no further fermentation therefore no yeast formation.
It can sit in the keg for a week or two then it's getting supped

It's not yeast as it went in to the carboy clear and hit a good FG plus I had an airlock on the carboy and there was no further fermentation therefore no yeast formation.
It can sit in the keg for a week or two then it's getting supped

Er ....

... no further fermentation can mean either no sugar or no oxygen or (very rare this one) no yeast. :thumb:

Filtering down to one micron will remove yeast but apart from that it's virtually impossible to remove it from beer. Sorry! :whistle:

Er ....

... no further fermentation can mean either no sugar or no oxygen or (very rare this one) no yeast. :thumb:

Filtering down to one micron will remove yeast but apart from that it's virtually impossible to remove it from beer. Sorry! :whistle:

But my FG was fine......its not bloody yeast !!

Dutto, no disrespect but I don't think your reading all this correct, it was in primary 3 weeks, then 2ndry for 2 weeks, all lovely and clear at which point i dry hopped and bang..cloudy
Thanks all the same for you input Dutto, i'm gonna see how 2 weeks in the keg does it, then its going down the hatch :drink:

But my FG was fine......its not bloody yeast !!

Dutto, no disrespect but I don't think your reading all this correct, it was in primary 3 weeks, then 2ndry for 2 weeks, all lovely and clear at which point i dry hopped and bang..cloudy
Thanks all the same for you input Dutto, i'm gonna see how 2 weeks in the keg does it, then its going down the hatch :drink:

The cloudiness may very well not be yeast ... :thumb:

... but you can lager a beer at one degree for ten weeks and still have enough yeast floating about in it to start carbonation when you add sugar and raise the temperature!

That's yeast for you. :whistle:

BTW

As you Dry Hopped you may like to read a Brewing Industry Research Foundation report written by I.C. MacWilliam titled Chemistry of Hop Constituents where in Section IV "The Free Sugars" he states ...

"By comparing the resulting chromatograms with those
obtained using known sugars the following were found to be present:-
fructose, glucose, sucrose, raffinose, and possibly stachyose."

... which is why the yeast reactivates and the air-lock kicks off again when you dry hop!

Enjoy! :thumb:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back