Fermentum Irish Darkness yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerCat

Landlord.
Reaction score
East and West Grimblestbottom under the rye
I have done 3 batches so far with this yeast. The first 2 finished at 1018 and the last at 1013. All beers were intended to be a dry Irish Stout under 5% ABV. Its extremely flocculant and clears quickly. No hint of diacetyl. There is a heavy krausen for around 3 days. The last batch my bottles are almost flat after 2 weeks. Normally enough to carb up a Lager in my house. Its hard to describe the flavour of this yeast as all beers have ended up too sweet. I have tried rousing the yeast but makes no difference. I much prefer WLP004 which i normally get down to 1010. Wont be using this yeast again as not fond of the beer i made with it at all.

I used it for an Irish stout and it did not take. I had to go back and get an Irish ale yeast instead. Turned out good after that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds a lot like WLP-002.

First time I used this (Danstar EAY) it went down to 1018 - as many others on the Forum were reporting.

A added some re-used US 05 and it fermented out beautifully. Even re-sued this blended yeast a couple of times with decent results. Each time there was a big initial ferment that is not a feature of US 05 and then a dry finish. I was happy with this outcome, so I guess it is an approach if you get a much higher finishing gravity than you wanted.

Latest posts

Back