AG8 - another Black IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, you might have guessed I like the Oxymoron of Black IPA [emoji12]

Grain bill is

b899bb52f8cbddcac2ddf8cfecd666e1.jpg

1.2kg pale malt
400g Vienna
250g Flaked Oats
200g Torrified wheat
100g Carafa Special

Plus 100g of Carafa cold steeped in 1.5L of cold water since yesterday morning

6a560887537eaeb8e40051d4c2df52f1.jpg

Which I will add into the main mash just before I dunk sparge.

I'm using up the odds and soda of hops I had in the freezer - All 'C' American hops.

60 mins - 15g citra Pellets (12% AA)
10 mins - 9g Citra pellets, 9g Chinook 13.4%
Flameout - 2g Chinook, 16g Citra pellets, 18g Cascade 7% AA

4fff6bb637ccf82d3b519ce556a0c18a.jpg

Should make for a nice hoppy beer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't dry hopped, but have a window to bottle it tomorrow evening, so have set the fridge down to 5 degrees to crash cool it.

Have you thought about not boiling the Carafa at all instead putting in post boil or into the FV? Not done it myself but it's supposed to help with the colour but no flavour aim of the BIPA.

So this is actually my 9th stove top AG (BIAB).

It's been sat in my utility room at about 20 degrees for a few weeks.

I decided to put a couple of bottles in the fridge on Saturday and just opened one.

98b201c8a8ec6af7365d1992ae551db2.jpg

I'm quite impressed!

It's one that's on my list too. Think I had a commercial one several months back. Isn't the point that it looks like it's going to be full-on and heavy but is actually quite hoppy and refreshing?

Black IPA is so good. Very underrated style. I wish it was as common on the shelves as NEIPAs.

So your cold stepped Carafa.......... have you just chucked the malt in a jar with cold (previously boiled?) water for a day or so to get the colour without so much of the flavour? Do you then chuck this in the mash or straight in to the boil?

So your cold stepped Carafa.......... have you just chucked the malt in a jar with cold (previously boiled?) water for a day or so to get the colour without so much of the flavour? Do you then chuck this in the mash or straight in to the boil?
I just used tap water in a sanitised jar and left it overnight.
I then added it to my grain bag at the dunk sparge stage.

Got me excited so just on my way to buy ingredients to do a 20L batch clapa

Latest posts

Back