MJ44 yeast lag?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Covrich

Geek
Staff member
Reaction score
This is the second MJ yeast I have used in succession.

Now I will admit here I never rehydrated the yeast (I know I know!!) but my excuse was I was running around a lot yesterday and my youngest child was off school unexpecedly poorly so I had my hands a lot fuller and less time to organise thing.

Still regardless I pitch dry often but with both the yeasts I have used (this and the calafonian lager one) they seem to take an age to start.

It was about 1pm yesterday I pitched and so far its not showing a lot of signs yet..

I recently brewed with the Californian yeast hardly saw a bubble. Just started drinking the beer and i'm well happy with it. I then pitched a raspberry wheat beer straight on the cake it went off like a rocket for about two hours then I didn't see another bubble. Its just in the shed cold crashing now. Should be a fun raspberry wheat steam beer.
And on the flip, I've a saison going at the moment using there French saison yeast and its been going like a mad thing for three days at 28c.
As long as your hitting the fg's and the beer is tasting good I don't think you've to much to worry about.

Yeah the CAli lager yeast I am very pleased with the result.. Hope for good things in this Black IPA .. just hope it goes off soon!

I don't know how much yeast you pitched, but regarde les instructions pictured below. Could be one possible explanation.

Screenshot_20170311-125913.jpg

I've got the biggest krausen I've seen on my own beers with this one, it's actually popped the lid of my FV and jumped down the side! I saw signs of life working 12 hours too. I dry pitched just like the OP.

I'm using MJ yeasts almost exclusively at the moment and they always seem to be going fine after 24 hours, I do always rehydrate though.

I pitched a Cali Lager yeast on Monday night and it's still bubbling away nicely this morning. That particular FV does seal nice and tight.

I have no problems using a single packet with higher gravity beers. I recently got 1069 - 1007 in a DIPA using a single packet of the New World Strong.

I really dig these yeasts.

It kicked off around 24 hours Like I say I did dry pitch this one as I was running around brewing and looking after a poorly little one..

OG was 1056 so I did perhaps not take my own advise but its burped away well ever since

Btw I have it in a cool bag and rotating 2l from water pop bottles and its worked great, a little too great it seems to be around 17ºc even in the milder weather we have been having, left it to defrost today as I wouldn't mind it creeping up to the 20 mark to help this finish.

Latest posts

Back