Looking to make Hard Lemonade, need advice..

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gent

Reaction score
So I'm looking to make 22 litres of Hard Lemonade, here is a recipe I found which looks about right below, the recipe states it should come out at around 4.5% but I am looking to increase that to 5.5% or 6.5% if possible (please tell me how if that is possible)..

Ingredients:
2kg Dextrose/Glucose
500g Lactose
24 Lemons Sliced including peel
5g Yeast Nutrient
Safale US-05 Beer Yeast

Method:
W6tlbgS.png

download some free brew software it will let you plug in different sugar quantities/types and provide you with an on the fly projection of final abv,, these days there are lots of artificial sweteners that can be used for a more natural taste than lactose which is circa 50% as sweet as sucrose w/w

It might not be quite what you're looking for, but skeeter pee is a 10% hard lemonade that is easier to make that what the original creator lets on. check out www.skeeterpee.com, and if you're interested, I'll hunt down my simplified directions and post them.

download some free brew software it will let you plug in different sugar quantities/types and provide you with an on the fly projection of final abv,, these days there are lots of artificial sweteners that can be used for a more natural taste than lactose which is circa 50% as sweet as sucrose w/w

Looking to make a medium strength carbonated alcoholic lemonade to be honest, I have no idea what category that would come under in the brew program, and ahh that's interesting thanks for letting me know.

It might not be quite what you're looking for, but skeeter pee is a 10% hard lemonade that is easier to make that what the original creator lets on. check out www.skeeterpee.com, and if you're interested, I'll hunt down my simplified directions and post them.

Sure thing, I'll give it a shot and just make a smaller batch!

Here's what I do to make skeeter pee. The OG should be about 1.070, it finishes at 0.098. My apologies for the non-metric measurements. Also, the only way this can be carbonated is to keg and force carbonate.

1) On the stovetop, add 8 pounds of sugar to 8 cups of water and 1/3 cup lemon juice concentrate. Heat to just below boiling and hold it there for 30 minutes, making invert sugar syrup. Turn off heat, and then

2) Add to a 6 gallon bucket or carboy two 32 oz bottles of 100% lemon juice concentrate, three gallons of cold water, 1 tsp yeast energizer, 3 tsp yeast nutrient (DAP), 3/4 tsp tannin and the invert sugar syrup you made in step 1. Top off the fermenter to 5 1/2 gallons with more water, then

3) Whip the **** out of it, mixing it completely. Gravity should be in the neighborhood of 1.070. You can add more sugar to get it there if you want.

4) Cover the opening of the fermenter with a towel, and let set 24-48 hours to (supposedly) let the preservatives dissipate.

5) Take off the towel, whip it up vigorously again then sprinkle two packets on Montrachet wine yeast over the top of the must and seal with an airlock.

6) Check the gravity, and when it reaches 1.050, add another 1 tsp yeast energizer, 3 tsp yeast nutrient, and one 32oz bottle of 100% lemon juice concentrate. Whip it up again.

7) When it is done fermenting (0.995 or so) and drops clear, rack it to a bottling bucket or keg and add 1/2 tsp potassium metabisulfite and 2 1/2 tsp potassium sorbate mixed into a 1/2 cup of water.

8) Add 6 cups sugar (more or less, to taste) and then bottle or keg.

I have this fermenting away right now, should be ready mid-spring. I'm experimenting a bit with this batch -I skipped the bottled lemon juice and am using squeezed lemon juice left from a batch of limoncello I'm making (I only needed the zest for that).

2) Add to a 6 gallon bucket or carboy two 32 oz bottles of 100% lemon juice concentrate, three gallons of cold water, 1 tsp yeast energizer, 3 tsp yeast nutrient (DAP), 3/4 tsp tannin and the invert sugar syrup you made in step 1. Top off the fermenter to 5 1/2 gallons with more water, then

Remember that US gallons are 3.78 litres, UK gallons are 4.54 litres. Cups are also are different volumes between uk and us.

Have a look here for specifics, difficult to find conversions try google if can't find an easy answer: https://www.simetric.co.uk/si_c.htm

Latest posts

Back