Greetings from Bratislava :)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alan_H

Reaction score
Hi everyone, my name is Alan, currently living in Bratislava, Slovakia.
I've been into home-brewing for a couple of years already, but there's always room for improvement, especially on these forums where I've found helpful advices almost all the time :)

Cheers!

Thank you :)
I only brew beer, I had a poor attempt to make a mead which turned out... vinegar.. it was completely sour. I must have had some wild yeast in it or something.
The brewing supplies are rather poor here, I often have to combine orders from several shops to get everything I need. And the hops are rarely packed in vacuum or even oxygen barrier plastic.
I also have a hard time finding Wyeast brand. One shop sells them for about 10€ per pack and only a few types anyway.
But the malt offer is very good and quite cheap :)

I was in Zilina and Bratislava last July (watching my football team get scalped by MSK Zilina) and had a beer in a brew pub at the foot of the castle (I just Googled it, it's called the Castle Brewery). I told my wife I'll definitely bring her as I loved the country and prices! It was only €1 a pint in Zilina sitting in the beautiful square. I'd love to see more of this country :)

Welcome

Yeah! that's one good thing here - the beer is bloody cheap! even here in the capital city you can buy one pint for 1.5€, about 1.2£ :drunk:
Slovak beers are okay, Czech ones are much better and there's a growing trend with crafted beers - more and more pubs sell now beers from small breweries around, which is great.

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you need to start cropping yeast. Some guys here can explain further. :-)

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you need to start cropping yeast. Some guys here can explain further. :-)

Thanks! I've looked into that recently and perhaps I will try it, assuming I'll find a way to separate the trub from yeast properly... I just need a clean brew since I also dry-hop a lot...

Hi Alan_H, there was me thinking I was the first from Bratislava on here :) How is the brewing going? I am yet to get started but looking at making some purchases soon

Of course - you can also call me for a pint when you'll be here :grin:
Try a place called Starosloviensky Pivovar
or Richtar Jakub - this one has a big selection of crafted beers, not all of them always available.
Fabrika the Beer Pub has mainly Kaltenecker beer, a Brewery from Eastern Slovakia. Good but a bit overpriced.

Dunajsky Pivovar is interesting for the location, it's on a boat, but they mainly have lagers and Weissbier.

There are other microbreweries too, but not all have good beers: Castle Brewery I went there a couple of times and the only available beers were some lagers.. The same for Mestiansky Pivovar, so I'd avoid these 2.

In addition, my favourites are Staromeštianska Pivotéka https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Staromeštianska+Pivotéka/@48.1500991,17.1059059,19.27z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x60bca7d0db3cba16!8m2!3d48.1499889!4d17.1060401 and
Žil Verne https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Žil+VERNE/@48.1424775,17.1056664,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x476c8942c7814a39:0x7051111ed8afb422!8m2!3d48.1424739!4d17.1078551
Enough places to keep it interesting! new ones open all the time here. I agree with Alan_H - some of the microbreweries are close to terrible and I have to say generally the Czech beers are often better.

Will PM you soon Alan_H :drink:

Of course - you can also call me for a pint when you'll be here :grin:
Try a place called Starosloviensky Pivovar
or Richtar Jakub - this one has a big selection of crafted beers, not all of them always available.
Fabrika the Beer Pub has mainly Kaltenecker beer, a Brewery from Eastern Slovakia. Good but a bit overpriced.

Dunajsky Pivovar is interesting for the location, it's on a boat, but they mainly have lagers and Weissbier.

There are other microbreweries too, but not all have good beers: Castle Brewery I went there a couple of times and the only available beers were some lagers.. The same for Mestiansky Pivovar, so I'd avoid these 2.

I'm in Vienna 8-12th of May, happy to meet up for a few beers if bratislava is on the cards. :-)

Back