Asda Pomegranate & Grape

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tau

Landlord.
Reaction score
Slight variation to Roddys, 1 dj

2 ltrs asda red grape juice
1 ltr of asda Pomegranate & grape juice
Total sugar content with added sugar = 1180g
1 tea bag tea, 2 redbush tea bag tea.
1/2 tsp pectolase
1 heaped tsp ap nutrient
Harris yeast (18%)
No citric added, as in pon' & grape juice.
Started fermenting.

Racked and topped up with water. Finings added. Taste the redbush blended well with the pomegranate and was complimentary in fact was difficult to tell apart. Will reduce redbush next time as probably don't need it. Will take a couple of months to mature, I'' leave it till weekend or next week to bottle to get a sense of the future flavour.

Nice one, I like a pom wine but my last batch was tainted with redbush... I think I might have a taste aversion to roiboos 😕

Still, only about 30L of redbush infused wows to get through 😲

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Nice one, I like a pom wine but my last batch was tainted with redbush... I think I might have a taste aversion to roiboos 😕

Still, only about 30L of redbush infused wows to get through 😲

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Thing is you don't store your batches any longer than it takes you to walk to your kitchen and open a bottle :lol: I'm hoping they will age well.

Just noticed a weird thing, it was fairly clear when I racked it and after adding finings (kwick clear) is cloudy after 3 days. Noticed this after I bottled the blueberry & grape in december as was in a dark dj, didn't notice. Maybe the rebush has to clear naturally or different types of finings have to be used.

racked again yesterday, finally clear but will leave for another 3-4 days before bottling. Can't taste much between the redbush and pomegranate.

Just done another 1 gallon of this modified slightly.

2 litres asda red grape juice & 1 ltr of pom', grape and raspberry. Added 1/2 tsp of malic acid rather than citric, 2 tea bags for extra tannin, 1 tsp dap nutrient and 1 1/2 tsp of pectolase as clumped in last batch and took a while to clear so added extra pectolase. Harris yeast 18%

Sugar added 770g - total sugar around 1180g aound 12.7% abv by this table (http://www.brsquared.org/wine/CalcInfo/HydSugAl.htm

a word of caution about the Asda Pomegranate and Raspberry as I have made 2 batches. Unlike any other wine, drink it fresh & young. Its delicious and refreshing, however it ages terribly. After 3 months it's unpleasant & after a year you get a feeling it's just not going to recover. Still, there's not many disadvantages to a wine that's at its best straight away :-)

a word of caution about the Asda Pomegranate and Raspberry as I have made 2 batches. Unlike any other wine, drink it fresh & young. Its delicious and refreshing, however it ages terribly. After 3 months it's unpleasant & after a year you get a feeling it's just not going to recover. Still, there's not many disadvantages to a wine that's at its best straight away :-)

Thanks for the heads up, will bottle and drink 1st batch asap as almost 6 weeks since finshed fermenting.

Edit: Bottled 18.3.17 will drink over next few weeks

Bottled the last one of these, now I had added a heaped 1/2 tsp of malic at the start as couldn't find citric, it's still very acidic after 3 months in the dj and still not clear so bottled hoping lacto/malic will take place or it's a no go.

Back