Milkshake IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crawfordid

Reaction score
Really keen to try making a "milkshake" IPA beer for the challenge and the curiousity of it! From what I understand it needs oats for haze, lactose for extra sweetness and vanilla pods for that ice cream flavour! As well as fruit etc! Has anyone made anything similar at all? Are there any good recipes out there? Any tips, advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Omnipollo Double raspberry and vanilla IPA

GRAIN
Pilsner malt, 2.65kg/5lbs 13.5oz (60%)
Wheat, 880g/1lb 15oz (20%)
Flaked oats, 440g/15.5oz (10%)
MASH
67C/152F for 75 mins
HOPS
(60 minute boil)
Mosaic, 27g/1oz, 10 mins
Mosaic, 67g/2.4oz, whirlpool
Mosaic, 200g/7oz, dry hop for 3 days
YEAST
Fermentis S-04 English Ale
FERMENT
19C/66F
OTHER INGREDIENTS
Dextrose, 440g/15.5oz (10%), in the boil
Lactose, after the boil, to raise the OG by 3P (about 12-13 specific gravity points); around 700g/ 1lb 8oz
Fresh raspberries, 1.3kg/2lbs 13.9oz, and 2.5 vanilla pods sliced down the middle, after primary fermentation, before dry hopping”

Spoke to the guys from Omnipollo, they said use the very best raspberry puree, also you could use vanilla powder, but not bourbon vanilla as its too woody.

Siren Craft have the recipe for Ten Dollar Shake on their website:

Malt Bill:
*Target an original extract of 16 P (1.065 sg)
64.3% Lager Malt
11.1% Wheat Malt
3.7% Munich
1.8% Melanoidin
6.3% Flaked Oats
12.8% Lactose

Kettle Hops:
*Target 60 IBU’s
10 min – Amarillo – 0.9 oz @ 7% A.A.
10 min – Cascade – 0.7 oz @ 6.8% A.A
0 min – Amarillo – 2.8 oz
0 min – Cascade – 1.8 oz
0 min – Citra – 2.8 oz

Kettle Additions:
Protafloc or other kettle finings
Yeast nutrient

Post Fermentation Additions:
Dry Hop: 2.0 oz Citra, 1.25 oz Amarillo, 1.25 oz Simcoe, 0.75 oz Mosaic
Fruit: 1.2 lbs. Mango Puree, 1.2 lbs. Papaya Puree, 0.3 lbs. Passion Fruit Puree

Instructions:
Target mash temperature = 65 C
Target mash pH = 5.5
Boil for 90 min. Add Lactose at 10 min. before the end of the boil
Ferment with Vermont Ale Yeast (we use a unique house-strain)
Fermentation Temperature = 19 C, increase temp to 22 C at 10 Plato (1.040 sg)
Add fruit to fermentation vessel at or around 8-12 Plato (1.032 – 1.048 sg)
Dry hop 3 days post terminal extract (~4.0 P)
Cool to near freezing 4 days after dry hop
Condition for 1+ weeks

Bottling:
Using fruit in this way can result in pectins solidifying post-bottling, leaving some chunks of fruit in the beer. This happened with ‘The Tickle Monster’, ‘Life is a Peach’ and in some cases our own bottles of ‘Ten Dollar Shake’ too. Don’t worry – it will taste great!

Awesome guys thanks! Also had an idea for a Banana milkshake IPA using Hefeweizen yeast, lactose, vanilla and real bananas but wondered if this was a bit mental really

Awesome guys thanks! Also had an idea for a Banana milkshake IPA using Hefeweizen yeast, lactose, vanilla and real bananas but wondered if this was a bit mental really

That sounds interesting. Mental, but interesting. There are some on here that can't stand Wells Banana Bread Beer, but I don't mind it. I'd use one of the Weihenstephaner-derived yeasts, like Wyeast 3068 or WLP300, to really get that banana hit and not so much clove. I'd be a bit worried about the starches in the bananas though. I'm not sure a hefe yeast could really break them down the way wine yeasts get through banana wine. It might be worth mashing up overripe bananas with water and some amylase, then straining and adding to the fv once the main fermentation has cleared up. The other concern might be that as an IPA the hops might clash with the banana.

Its amazing mate.
Youll find a lot of the puree floats to the top, I just gave it a gentle shake each day and it dropped. I added about 2KG of raspberries, cant really taste much vanilla though

Just had an Imaginary Greenscapes import from an American brewery in collaboration with cloud water. Talk about dank! That was one hoppy son of a gun and the colour ran near white at the end of the can. Lactose and oats with a hop bomb addition I believe. Go for it!!!

Latest posts

Back