Better Brew - IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrannBrew

Damo Brann
Reaction score
I've had this in storage for a few months and finally decided to brew it with 1kg of muntons beer enchancer & batch primed it with 20 teaspoons of normal white sugar.

Bottled it last week, force Carbing 1 TAD bottle to start drinking this weekend.

I tried a small amount of it last night, was initially quite surprised as I didn't really know what to expect, definite taste of passion fruit, however on another 'test' 1/4 pint that taste didn't really seem as strong & had in replacement a quite a dry aftertaste & defiantly carbonated well. A very pale golden colour, almost a yellow/orange.

Its an improvement to the Wilko Golden Ale which was my very first batch but I'm thinking there are other ones better out there. The bottle condition ones I've done may turn out better flavor, it did end up that way with the Golden Ale.

Hey guys, today my primary fermentation finished, and I tasted the beer, it is a bit more bitter. It has great smell thought. Will the bitterness wear off after the secondary fermentation? Tnx

Taken two reading across two days of my Better Brew IPA and so far have 1.008 and 1.008 so assume Primary has finished.

Will give it another day or two just to be safe before bottling.

Smelled OK and tested bitter is anything .. only had a little swell.

Will post back once conditioned and drinking :D

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread but as it is quite specific to this brew it seems correct to do so; moderators feel free to correct me if not.

Here's my problem and question. I live in the southern Peloponnese so my access to kits is somewhat limited; I've usually managed to get them from Germany but postage has become prohibitive. I do have a guy in Athens but he mainly focuses on American craft beer kits, not my favourite. However he does have the Better Brew IPA in stock at a good price (€15) so I have just ordered a couple. My question is this; I always brew the "Premium" (2 can) kits and am averse to addings sugar or dextrose to a brew, so I want to treat this as a 2 can kit, adding them together and making it up to 25-28 litres depending on the OG (5% is my aim). I always use Safale S-04 yeast as it has never failed me, and this time I aim to use bottled water as ours is a bit questionable after huge floods in the Autumn. I don't want to add additional hops as an IPA should be hoppy enough for me. Anyone see any problems with this idea?
Thanks in advance for any input.

I'm putting one of these on today. I've got 1.5kg of LME extract to go in as well and 500g of brewing sugar. :)

Now to decide if I'm going to dry hop with Cascade, Goldings or both.

I'm putting one of these on today. I've got 1.5kg of LME extract to go in as well and 500g of brewing sugar. :)

Now to decide if I'm going to dry hop with Cascade, Goldings or both.

I'd use one or t'other as their not very similar hops. I've used both but not together. Cascade is citrusy and EKG being floral/honey/earthy so might not go together. If anyone has used them together and found they worked out well, I take it back, but I'd be reluctant to put them together in the abscence of anyone reckoning they work well together

I'd use one or t'other as their not very similar hops. I've used both but not together. Cascade is citrusy and EKG being floral/honey/earthy so might not go together. If anyone has used them together and found they worked out well, I take it back, but I'd be reluctant to put them together in the abscence of anyone reckoning they work well together

Thanks. It's on my second kit and the first I'm "pimping" so I'll stick with conventional wisdom on this one. I actually ordered two of these kits, so can try both. :)

Thanks. It's on my second kit and the first I'm "pimping" so I'll stick with conventional wisdom on this one. I actually ordered two of these kits, so can try both. :)

If you really want to find out what it will taste like with both hops in one beer, do your two kits with each hop, then blend half a bottle of each brew in a glass :thumb:

Anyone else doing this beer? I started it last weekend used 1kg dextrose and half a kilo of medium DME short brewed to 20l and used s-o4 yeast took well over 24 hour to get going but bubbling nicley now

Latest posts

Back