Brewferm kits

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monkey

Reaction score
Evening all

i have a few questions about brewferm kits if anyone has some advice. Done a lot of kits, so am well versed in brewing methods etc but havent yet tried any of these brewferm Belgian style kits yet.

Am planning on trying the Diablo and either the Grand Cru or Tripple

1st question - what temps have people been brewing these at? from reading up it looks like the suggested temps are around 25c. Has anyone found any off tastes from fusel's at this range or higher? Are you able to brew at lower temps with these? not sure what yeast is included in the kit.

2nd - is the kit yeast any good? if not great then any recommendations for a substitute?

3rd - what do people suggest is best for the extra fermentables? Candi sugar, golden syrup or other? was planning on using Candi sugar but open to suggestions. Also would you use dark or light candi sugar with the kits i have listed above?

final question - temp control (link to 1st question).... i have a brew fridge, which is in use most of the time with full length brews. I was planning up sticking these kits in a 15l FV in the airing cupboard which is a bit warmer than needed for standard brews (usually brew at 19c in the brew fridge). but the temp does fluctuate a bit when heating on etc. anyone else brewed these indoors with little temp control? good or bad idea ( i think i pretty much know the answer to this one!). I would use the brew fridge, but keen to get the Cwtch and Razorback on the go.

cheers for any advice

I've done the Ambiorix and the grand cru. I brewed at 20 degrees in the brew fridge, and used golden syrup (couldn't be arsed to make candi sugar and too tight to buy it). The yeast supplied is good in my opinion, ferments out quickly, and leaves a very clear beer after minimal conditioning. I have very recently moved onto AG, but would happily brew brewferm, youngs american or coopers stout kits in future. If they are all 9L kits you should be alright with 15l fv, but the grand cru in particular fermented vigorously so take care in the airing cupboard!

1. 22 degrees here, tastes fine.
2. Belgian ale yeast. Ferments out ok if a bit slow. tastes very Belgian. Could double up quantity to motor things along a bit.
3. Golden syrup or muscovado here
I really like these kits to be fair they produce a great range of brews, favourites so far would be grand Cru and Abdij
Airing cupboard would probably be ok but fluctuating temps, so I would be tempted to use the extra yeast, the high OG can make these kits plod a bit under ideal conditions, so in less than ideal then I'd err on the safe side and use more.

Thanks for the tips. I may just have to whack a couple of these on in the brew fridge before i start on the Cwtch and Razorback then. I have a Golden stag conditioning which should keep me going for a wee while.
One last questions, how much golden syrup did you use for the 9L? I'm guessing a bit more than the 500g of recommended sugar due to water content? 600 or 700g maybe?
might still be tempted to use Candi sugar on one of them. Don't mind spending a few extra quid if its going to make a marked difference, especially as you have to wait for so long before these kits condition well.

cheers

A 600g bottle is approximately the same as 500g of sugar. I brew these to about 11-12 litres actually, adding further fermentables to maintain the abv. No science behind it, another 2-300g of muscovado or DME or what have you, they still come out great.

Back