Orange peel

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sanch3z

Reaction score
Been a while since my last brew (kids + work) but tomorrow I want get one on. For my last batch I boiled some hops, orange peel and crushed cardamom in a muslin sack for 15mins in a few litres of boiling water, removed the sack then added this water to my tank however I didn't get anything off it. Speaking to a local shop they said I was correct in what I was doing but I should have only bold ed it for 5mims then added the water and sack to the tank whilst it ferments. Is that correct? Do I not have to worry about the peel or hops going bad and ruining the beer? As it's a wheat beer I'm keen to get a bit more flavour in it without spoiling it. Any guidence for a beginner really welcomed.

Thanks

I don't know about cardamom as only used coriander but normally its boiled for last 10 minutes. 25g of crushed coriander and 25g of dried peel is what i have done and its noticeable. It might be less efficient in a small amount of water though. If you boiled it it wont go bad and if its not tasty enough you could always add the same again before you bottle it.

Sorry was late I meant corriander seeds. So you boil it for the last 10mins in a few litres of water. Do you remove the sack and just add in the flavoured water or do you add the sack and water to the fv for two weeks (or however long it takes to hit its level)?

The guy said in the shop said if you boil it too long you will destroy the oils and only by adding the peel to the fv will get proper flavour but it was a rushed conversation so not entirely sure what he said.

If your doing a kit you could boil it up in a bit more water and leave to cool before straining it and adding that. Or boil in 2 or 3 litres fro 10mins then add a litres of cold and let the whole lot chill before straining. You might extract more flavour in a bit more water like you would hops. I do all grain and have added it before in the last 10 minutes then left the whole batch to chill overnight and poured everything into the fermentor and was fine.

Hmmm seems a few option. So I'm doing a kit which normally requires a few litres of boiling water to dissolve the liquid before topping up with chilled water. So it is the initial boiled water I'm adding the flavour to. So I guess my only question is:

Is it ok to leave the orange peel in a muslin sack in the fv for two weeks whilst it ferments before directly bottling?

Saying that I have six oranges in the fridge but I also have 100g of dried bitter orange peel... what would you use?

Personally I would use the dried peel, boil it for 10 mins and let cool and strain. 25g is a decent amount of each. Some people may prefer less. Never really used fresh peel but I have dried out organic lemons and added that to a pale ale. I used organic as they are not waxed. Whatever's you do you won't go far wrong.

I will use the dried stuff as that's what I bought it for ;) was mostly concerned with whether I should leave it in the fv for the duration but thanks for confirming it's just used to flavour the initial batch of water then thrown away.

Btw how did the punk clone go?

Latest posts

Back