Novice to Wine Brewing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skenz77

Reaction score
Please see the attached picture of some gear my mate gave me to start off. I like dry white wines, so going to start there. Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance
Best wine kits to buy and how to increase the percentage being two of my questions

IMG_0284.jpg

Get yourself some cleaner and steriliser, rinse or no rinse the choice is yours but have a read up on them first. Next i would go for a 6 bottle white wine kit, stick to the instructions but ignore any length of times that they give, better to stick with a 6 bottle kit for now as they are cheaper in case you have a mishap.

It may also be an idea to get yourself a second fermentation vessel (FV), this would allow you to rack the wine and improve on its clarity.

Cheaper wine kits need you to add sugar to up there strength, you would probably get away with increasing the alcohol by 1-2% but the more sugar you add the longer fermentation will take more so if you want a proper dry wine keep additions to a minimum, you can also go to high with the ABV and create something to strong for the yeast to handle and end up with a sweet wine due to to much sugar left unfermented, different strains of yeasts have different tolerances.

Get yourself some cleaner and steriliser, rinse or no rinse the choice is yours but have a read up on them first. Next i would go for a 6 bottle white wine kit, stick to the instructions but ignore any length of times that they give, better to stick with a 6 bottle kit for now as they are cheaper in case you have a mishap.

It may also be an idea to get yourself a second fermentation vessel (FV), this would allow you to rack the wine and improve on its clarity.

Cheaper wine kits need you to add sugar to up there strength, you would probably get away with increasing the alcohol by 1-2% but the more sugar you add the longer fermentation will take more so if you want a proper dry wine keep additions to a minimum, you can also go to high with the ABV and create something to strong for the yeast to handle and end up with a sweet wine due to to much sugar left unfermented, different strains of yeasts have different tolerances.
Any suppliers you can recommend??
Sauvignon blanc Or Pinot grigio and btw, what is racking ??

If you don't have a homebrew shop near you then look at some who sponsor the forum here (homebrewcompany, geterbrewed, look in the sponsors thread for discounts) or ebay, there are also some others that folk use regularly like maltmiller and lovebrewing, if you are getting it posted then it's probably best to get everything you need from one supplier to save on your delivery costs as these can add up to be quite a bit.

White wine isn't something i go for myself typically and it's all down to individual taste, read kit reviews for a white wine style that you like and go from there, cheap 6 bottle kits will have less juice in them and usually need sugar, dearer 6 bottle kits have more juice and some of them won't need added sugar.

Racking is just moving the wine/must from one vessel to another to improve it's clarity or flavour depth depending on what you put it in, plastic FV or oak barrel.

Please see the attached picture of some gear my mate gave me to start off. I like dry white wines, so going to start there. Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance
Best wine kits to buy and how to increase the percentage being two of my questions

Have a look at some of WOW/Supermarket juice recipes on here. Cheap as chips and if you mess up it's only cost you a few quid.

For a nice white - get yourself down to Waitrose and get some white grape juice. Or try a nice tea wine [emoji39]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@skenz77 Welcome to the forum.

This will keep you busy for a while :lol:

Supermarket Juice Wine Recipes and W.O.W - here - http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=49462

Member discounts here - http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=653150&postcount=3

I make the WineBuddy Sav Blanc 30 bottle kit often, my review is here - http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=49224

There is a wine kit review A - Z thread here - http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=57680

Back