eliminating a wild yeast infection

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oneflewover

Landlord.
Reaction score
Morning!

Pretty sure I have / have had a wild yeast infection. The beer, whilst drinkable, just got drier and drier, and the carbonation rate went off the scale - despite opening and resealing swing tops several times. Whole batch the same, so was likely in FV or siphon.

subsequent batches are unaffected, but I know from experience now that it takes ages for the wild yeast to ferment out, so might be early days. That said, I take cleaning and sanitation seriously (oxi followed by vwp), so might have gotten rid of it.

There's a lot written about 'infections', but I'd love to hear from anyone who has successfully dealt with a wild yeast infection and how they did it.

Cheers!:thumb:

Soak in bleach, followed by a sodium metabisulphite (campden) rinse, then spray with starsan. That'll remove any infection from your equipment.

VWP won't kill it in my experience, they can be a real PITA to shift, especially as they take a while to become apparent - months rather than weeks, so beer initially tastes fine.

I went through a series of infections 2 years ago, it got into everything - FVs, kegs, bottles. Got rid of it with a really rigorous cleaning regime inc bleach and boiled water. I now always use a kettle full of boiled water in my FVs after sanitising with VWP, belt n braces approach which seems to work.

I still have it in my Rotokeg, being round I can't run a kettle full of water down the inside. I've almost given up trying to fix it, seems a shame to throw a good keg but 2 years on every brew I put in there gets infected. None of my other brews have since been infected.

Thanks all for your help. I've got some cheap thin bleach so will give everything a good soaking before I brew again.

Back