how many pints.....

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
............ before baby #2 arrives. .................. we've overbudgeted for unforseen expenses and with a bit of luck they won't materialise ................

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dream on!

Kids are a bigger money sink than any hobby ...

... but to cheer you up, it does get better after about eighteen years ...

... when you may even be able to afford some new brewing kit!

...yeah it's all Xbox and ipads. ..I wonder if the costs are relevant. ...in days gone by I wonder if the parents moaned about the price of a hoop and a stick?
Saying that, I had a Jack Russell and a fishing rod and was quite content. ..

Cheers

Clint

No chance, thats when we'll be packing them off to uni, which is already three times more expensive than when I went.

in 18 years time he will have someone who will drink all his homebrew!

Dream on!

I probably have about 80 pints of various stuff on the shelf, with a sundew in FV1 and a Pilsner in FV2. there is also 40 pints of dry hopped lager, in the fridge lagering. trying to get the summer lager/beer done by end of May so can get the autumn winter stuff sorted and properly conditioned.

Its a full time job I tell you.

Got about 70-80 left mix some American IPA, some stout some slovenian pilsner and quite a lot of steam beer

have a BIPA burping away

I'm a bit understocked at the moment and am working on getting back to critical mass.

I have capacity for
38 litres (76 pints) in Corny Kegs
23 litres (46 pints) in pressure barrel
25 litres (50 pints) in Minikegs
40 pint bottles
1 no chill cube
1FV

Whereas actual current utilisation is:
1 full no chill cube
1 full FV
1/2 full pressure barrel

This weekend the FV will go into a corny keg and a growler and the no chill cube will go int the FV and a new brew will go into the no chill cube. Then try not to drink too much and in 2 weeks empty the FV into minikegs, transfer the no chill into the FV and get a new brew into the no chill. Rinse and repeat every fortnight until stocks are full. Then dial back to maintenance levels.

Experience suggests to me that 3 months is around the optimum sort of age for all but the very hoppiest (Cascade, etc) which need less and for the very strongest (don't make many) which may require more. I do accept that I make very boring beers! English malt, English hops, US 05, ABV 5.5%.

So, if you brew every other week, in line with moderately excessive consumption, that suggests a critical mass of 20 x13 pints. That would equate to somewhere between 200 and 300 pints. Or between 5 and 8 brews.

Stock low at the moment, last brewed September/October, So only have about 20 bottles ready to drink, Have a kit batch bottled and conditioned, and my first BIAB in fermenter, Did a stock take too and I've 6 kits on shelf that I have to do

13 in the garage
12 in the kitchen
80 in the FVs (40 to be bottled on Sunday)

....and then another to kick off.....

:thumb:

Problem is, I keep drinking it.

After an enforced gap of a few months in the autumn, my stocks were stripped bare.

Now down to last 10 pints of Wherry (that's not going to be long for this earth...) plus 40 pints of oaked I&G clone that needs another 2 weeks in the PB, but I have had a cheeky sample (that has only proved to make me more impatient).

After reading the more heroic efforts of everyone on this thread I'm planning on a milk stout this week but need to work out how to do that after work without a) getting to bed after 2am; b) getting in trouble for not fully carrying out my 'dad's taxi' duties...

After an enforced gap of a few months in the autumn, my stocks were stripped bare.

Now down to last 10 pints of Wherry ........

That's cruel. It's difficult to get back to "critical mass". :doh:

In winter you can't use high ambient temperatures to ferment and carbonate ... :nono:

... and in summer you have lots of wild yeasts and fruit flies to contend with. :nono:

It is indeed a cruel world for the home brewer! I'm off out to get a beer! :whistle:

How much can people having brewing at one time? I bought a kit and 2 FV last week, so as to have one for bottling. I've already realized that blatantly isn't going to be enough if I'm planning on getting my stocks up, so I've just ordered another four kits and another FV so I can have two on the go at once.

I took a break in the summer as at the moment I can only control the temperature upwards, not down. It has been winter, so I've always had a batch in the fv to build up stock, usually a 23L batch give or take. I probably have about 90 pints of drinkable stock at the moment, another 40 or so of beer which fermented too hot and which will probably end up down the drain but I'm waiting just in case it comes good (now you know why I only ferement in winter), plus maybe 10 bottles of wine, plus three demijohns of honey-based things maturing. However, I've just had an offer accepted on a house with enough space for a brew fridge, so hopefully that will go to plan and I'll be able to brew all year round soon.

Try this for basic cooling. Get a builders trub, put your full FV in (maybe try filled with water first to test it), add water to a reasonable level, put a t shirt over the FV into the water in the trub. The t shirt will wick water from the trub which will evaporate and cool the FV. Kept mine at 20°C last summer, even when it was close to 30°. I couldnt believe how good it was, try it and see.

I've got a brew fridge now for better year round temperature control.

And as for stocks, I've got about 30 pints in the PB and thats it. I only drink 3-8 pints a week so that will keep me going for a while. Will be doing a 10-12L AG brew possibly this week.

How much can people having brewing at one time? .........

At the moment I have:

o An FV of Vienna Lager fermenting on the heat-pad.

o An FV of Coopers Stout fermenting in the trug.

o A PB full of "SMASH with Cascade" carbonating in the fridge.

o A PB full of "SMASH with Citra" conditioning on the garage floor.

I have one more session to go before I knock off for a few weeks and that will be a second Vienna Lager which will be left in the fridge to finish off while I'm away.

In winter, I find the "bottleneck" is keeping up with the heating requirements during fermenting and carbonating. At a two week minimum for each stage it takes a bit of juggling!

Aye, it's a hard life, but someone has to do it! :whistle: :whistle:

At the moment I have:

o An FV of Vienna Lager fermenting on the heat-pad.

o An FV of Coopers Stout fermenting in the trug.

o A PB full of "SMASH with Cascade" carbonating in the fridge.

o A PB full of "SMASH with Citra" conditioning on the garage floor.

I have one more session to go before I knock off for a few weeks and that will be a second Vienna Lager which will be left in the fridge to finish off while I'm away.

In winter, I find the "bottleneck" is keeping up with the heating requirements during fermenting and carbonating. At a two week minimum for each stage it takes a bit of juggling!

Aye, it's a hard life, but someone has to do it! :whistle: :whistle:
I'm guessing you're like me and only drink three or four pints a week, wouldn't dream of drinking more than that, so should last you ages. It's all about the hobby and not the drinking. (My nose is growing):whistle::whistle:

I have 1100 x 330ml bottles of various beers in stock (2 full to the brim 175cm fridges and some in boxes) and a full 64l and 30l FV to be bottled when I get back from offshore, running out of bottles so I am gonna have to buy another 200 bottles when get home, that will bring me up to 1400 bottles in circulation ! I am a bit of an "all in" kind of guy, when I first started back June last year, I knocked together 4 Bulldog Kits on my first day and 1 more day after! After 10 kits I started AG on a Grainfather and am now on batch 38! Might make 50 by June this year but running out of space to keep them all!

I have 1100 x 330ml bottles of various beers in stock (2 full to the brim 175cm fridges and some in boxes) and a full 64l and 30l FV to be bottled when I get back from offshore, running out of bottles so I am gonna have to buy another 200 bottles when get home, that will bring me up to 1400 bottles in circulation ! I am a bit of an "all in" kind of guy, when I first started back June last year, I knocked together 4 Bulldog Kits on my first day and 1 more day after! After 10 kits I started AG on a Grainfather and am now on batch 38! Might make 50 by June this year but running out of space to keep them all!
Where are you working offshore Brett, for my sins I'm offshore Nigeria.
Brian

I am in Norway, but this is my last hitch, until the rig gets a new contract, that might happen in June, or not, any good crewing agencies you can recommend for me, I am an AD, 20 years offshore, PM me if have a job for me!

Latest posts

Back