Milk stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iansun

Reaction score
Has anyone got any good recomendations for a milk stout kit and where I could purchase it from please?

Geterbrewed do an AG ingredients pack. Can't remember the name offhand but it's right at the bottom of the AG packs page. It's very nice, well worth doing.

Are you talking about an AG kit or a 'regular' kit? If you mean a regular kit I bet you could just add lactose to it when you make it up (any other forumites thoughts on this as I'm not 100% sure it would work)

If you are talking about pimping a normal beer kit then you could add lactose to the beer but I would add it on top of any other fermentables that you are using. Lactose does not ferment so will raise your final gravity and add sweetness but no alcohol.

The other thing to bear in mind when using lactose is that you have to be really good with your cleaning and sanitisation. The lactose is a ready source of food for bacteria which can eat it. I would make sure you boil all of your brewing water, not just a small portion as is usual with kits.

If you are talking about pimping a normal beer kit then you could add lactose to the beer but I would add it on top of any other fermentables that you are using. Lactose does not ferment so will raise your final gravity and add sweetness but no alcohol.

The other thing to bear in mind when using lactose is that you have to be really good with your cleaning and sanitisation. The lactose is a ready source of food for bacteria which can eat it. I would make sure you boil all of your brewing water, not just a small portion as is usual with kits.

But isnt DME too? I just used to chuck the DME in with the kit add tap water unboiled and never had any problems

Hi!
I've got a cracking milk stout in a Corny at the moment.
EDIT
Coopers stout kit
1480 Meridian malt extract Holland and Barrett
400g BE2 (240g dextrose 160g maltodextrin) Cooper's Brew Enhancer 2
250g lactose

But isnt DME too? I just used to chuck the DME in with the kit add tap water unboiled and never had any problems

Yes DME is too but the yeast can quickly ferment that. I think the point is that the lactose leaves a pool of sugars that bacteria can tuck into. I am really only repeating advice that I've read elsewhere but it seemed to make sense to me.

Latest posts

Back