Receipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kakistos_uk

kakistos_uk
Reaction score
Hi

I want to make an IPA and I’d appreciate some feedback on my plans.

I’m new and really like Coopers and will be using their IPA beer kit.

After reading various posts I am going to add golden syrup for flavour. I’m also going to add crystal malt for extra body.

I think Crushed Cara Malt (500G) will be a good addition and then hops towards the end.

Does this sound good?

I was going to use 1kg of brewing sugar too. I’m shooting for around 6% abv but I’m very lazy when it comes to using a hydrometer. I normally just want to know if it is tastes nice and will get you a bit ******.

Thanks as always!!

Take a good look at the Coopers Pale Ales. They seem to have styled them on US hops / flavours.
The Indian Pale Ale, that I liked, is no longer available. I'm looking at alternatives.
It's a bit hard getting other brands of proper IPA in this part of the world. I'm going to try Mangrove Jack or Muntons.
I've made the Kilted IPA. My English friends and I thought it was great.
http://store.coopers.com.au/recipes/index/view/id/10/

Or do you mean the Coopers APA?

I must admit it's all getting very confusing.

* Sorry it was late when I wrote the above and I was tired.
The old Coopers Indian Pale Ale is no longer available. Not a good seller according to my LHBS.
The two that have replaced it are :

Thomas Coopers Bootmaker Pale Ale -

Thomas Cooper’s first occupation in Adelaide was as a bootmaker in the small village of Kensington, three miles east of the city.
He plied his original trade a few doors down from the Rising Sun Inn where, in later years, he’d get his foot in the door with his very own Ales.
After Thomas hung up his cobbler’s boots, he turned his hand to brewing beers like this American-style Pale Ale.
It has a rich amber colour, toffee malt flavours, citrus and pine hop aromas, a refreshing bitter finish and thick creamy head. Would Thomas approve? You can bet your boots.

Thomas Coopers Brew A IPA -

Thomas Cooper’s first recorded brew was designated brew “A”. According to his brewing log, dated 13th May 1862,
“A” contained four bushels of Malt and eight pounds of Kent hops in 46 gallons of water, which he made into a Pale Ale and a slightly heavier Ale.
This American style IPA is made in the tradition of that heavier Ale.
Full bodied with deep amber and reddish hues, its tropical, citrusy, grapefruit notes and toasty amber malt balances the clean, hop filled, bitter finish. You won’t believe Thomas used to sell it for seven schillings a dozen.

Both of these are American Style. Not What I would call an Indian Pale Ale. By all means call them a Pale Ale, but not Indian.
If I'm making an Indian Pale Ale I'm looking to make one with English Style.

cheers

Pete

Back