Working out Sugar & ABV?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Global33

Reaction score
I know I'm asking a million questions on the forum at the moment, but I'm afraid I have another. Apologies if it's been asked many times before.

I have a look at the calculator, but not quite worked it out. I'm wondering how I can work out what ABV I'll end up with from how much sugar I add (or at least work out how much sugar I need to add to my recipes). I did 1.5L of Ginger Beer in a pop bottle, whilst waiting for other kit to arrive. Used 200g of sugar and Young's Wine Yeast and left it a week. Tastes quite sweet and very easy to drink, but after a few wine glasses, I suspect it's quite potent! Next time I will use a Hydrometer.

Although my main focus will be beer, I'd like to make some more Ginger Beer, some Cider and also some Mead. Just keeping them simple and using table sugar, which is very cheap. I know the strain of yeast effects how strong it can get, does the strain of yeast also effect how much alcohol you end up with from the same amount of sugar?

I know the strain of yeast effects how strong it can get, does the strain of yeast also effect how much alcohol you end up with from the same amount of sugar?
Some yeasts can attenuate (i.e convert sugar to alcohol) better than others, so for a given amount of fermentable sugar the higher the attenuation, the higher the alcohol content.

Thanks. How would I find out. I'm using Youngs Super Yeast Compound.

According to beersmith table sugar gives 3.1% abv per 1kg in a 20l batch
Brewing sugar is about £2.00 per kilo, it ferments out a lot cleaner with fewer off flavors than table sugar.
Most brewing yeast is good up to about 8% abv although i tend to stick around 4.5%-5.5%

Latest posts

Back