Forgotten Yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chappers

Reaction score
I buy my all grain in packs with supplied hops and grain measured out with a yeast packet. However after completing my brew and waiting until the next day as I allow it to cool on its own I noticed I had no yeast. I quickly ordered some for next day delivery but wont arrive until later today. So the wort has been three nights without the yeast but it is fermenting! :doh:

Shall I still add my yeast tonight or shall I just let it be? :-?

How bad can it be! :thumb:

Seems fair enough to me.
Or you could give it a 10 minute boil to kill whatever is fermenting it, cool and pitch correct yeast. It may be a bit more bitter and lose some aroma from late hop additions.

You could even hedge your bets and boil half and leave the other, two for the price of one.

What style of beer was it?

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

This kind of happened to me. Normally I leave my near boiling wort for 24-48 hours to cool then pitch. But one time I left it for a week. When I took the cling film of the the no-chill FV it had a kind of appley smell and was cloudy. With nothing to loose I just pitched the yeast. Turned out fine. You might want to drink the beer quite quickly (I normally do anyway) just in case it is infected with something. So you consume it before the infection really takes hold and shows up

Or you could give it a 10 minute boil to kill whatever is fermenting it, cool and pitch correct yeast. It may be a bit more bitter and lose some aroma from late hop additions.

You could even hedge your bets and boil half and leave the other, two for the price of one.

What style of beer was it?

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

It was a Ringwood 49er. Its got quite a bit of a head on it so going strong. I drink the beer pretty quick too so might just leave it and see what happens.

I buy my all grain in packs with supplied hops and grain measured out with a yeast packet. However after completing my brew and waiting until the next day as I allow it to cool on its own I noticed I had no yeast. I quickly ordered some for next day delivery but wont arrive until later today. So the wort has been three nights without the yeast but it is fermenting! :doh:

Shall I still add my yeast tonight or shall I just let it be? :-?

How bad can it be! :thumb:

Fermenting on it's own is not a good sign. It can be pretty bad, hopefully not, but that's the way to bet.
You found out the hard way why it's a good idea to have an extra pack or two of yeast on hand at all times.

Sods law its happened to me again :-(. The wort tastes fine but it absolutley pongs. Like when you leave a empty baked been can out and it starts to turn. I still pitch my yeast in there though. I'll see what it tastes like at the end of the week

I decided to add some mixed up cherries to the brew as I have been meaning to do so for some time. I also thought the cherries might hide the sour taste I might get with wild yeast. What harm can it do!

Latest posts

Back