Making a Port and sugar feeding

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerCat

Landlord.
Reaction score
East and West Grimblestbottom under the rye
Big fan of Port and thought i would like to have a crack at some. Bought a pack of high alcohol wine yeast and have some Muntons red grape juice concentrate. Was thinking of using red grape juice and honey as according to the info i got with the yeast its better to add the sugars slowly to increase alcohol levels. I accidentally did this with a Mead when i started out and it came out really good.
Am guessing the best way to monitor this is by leaving a hydrometer in the demijohn? Will most probably fortify this with brandy if its turns out drinkable. Will be making a small starter as per instructions. Looking to make a final product around 18 to 20%. How does this sound? Do i have too much for a dry Port

For a 5l recipe i am thinking of ;
2 x 220g Muntons red grape concentrate
3l red grape juice
300g honey
juice 1 lemon,
1 chopped apple,
handful or raisins
topped up with water to 4l

day 5 add 300g honey
day 15 add 300g honey

Take my hat off to you, 5 litres of port is about a lifetime supply of the stuff for me. Love it with a Stilton but i don't eat that much of it that i could drink a gallon of port. Hope the experiment works out for you though.

Lol i do love Port so not a problem for me as long as its not too sweet. Done the above recipe apart from increasing the amount of honey to approx 760g. I had a knackered hydrometer but hoping this is going to be around 12.5%. Once its slows down a bit will be adding the extra honey. I need around 600g extra to bring it up to 16.5% i think. Will let mature for a few months then top up with a decent brandy.

Back