Need a new hydrometer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madonion

Reaction score
My hydrometer rolled off of the cupboard and smashed at the end of my last brew and I'm in the market for a new one. Just after some recommendations really. I know that they are not expensive but would like something decent and accurate.

Cheers

Its best to have multiple hydrometers. A single one is just not accurate enough. I have 3 different hydrometers, one for low gravity wort (7-14P), high gravity wort (14-21P) and fermented wort (0-7P). Im sure you can get them in an OG scale too.

Cheers!

Its best to have multiple hydrometers. A single one is just not accurate enough. I have 3 different hydrometers, one for low gravity wort (7-14P), high gravity wort (14-21P) and fermented wort (0-7P). Im sure you can get them in an OG scale too.

Cheers!

I never considered have hydrometers for such specific readings. I just assumed a decent one would cover all angles. I will have to start researching the market.

I started with a single hydrometer too, but it always took some time to get a semi accurate reading because the scale was so small.

If you have a smaller range, the readings are quick and accurate and you dont get a headache from trying to see the tiny bars.

When you have grown up in instrumentation it's not that hard to get a good reading, but these days I use a Cooper's Hydrometer, because it's plastic and damned near indestructible. I don't know if you can get them there, you could get one online. I still have an accurate glass one packed away, as well as three for distilling, but apart from one sitting in my parrot when running the still I don't usually get them out.

When you have grown up in instrumentation it's not that hard to get a good reading, but these days I use a Cooper's Hydrometer, because it's plastic and damned near indestructible. I don't know if you can get them there, you could get one online. I still have an accurate glass one packed away, as well as three for distilling, but apart from one sitting in my parrot when running the still I don't usually get them out.

Never heard of plastic hydrometers, but that sound great.. I have broken 3 hydrometers already.

Cheers!

Interesting. Is it a kit you bought? Do you have a link please?

I have a plastic one that came with a coopers kit.
It's been dropped in the sink.off the sink and it's had things dropped on it. I thought it was a bit **** when I got it. Bit reading this thread makes me pleased it's plastic ..

Latest posts

Back