Sparkling wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

APINTA

Regular.
Reaction score
How easy is it to make sparkling wine and what extra bits do i need to buy to make it I rather do the sparkling wine in kit form as I am not a expert on this wine brewing yet :doh::mrgreen:

You will need champagne/prosecco bottles and stoppers to withstand the pressure, no reason you can't make it from a kit though you will need to let it ferment completely dry and not use potassium sorbate to kill fermentation and then add sugar at bottling stage. This would be likely to also be a bit cloudy if you empty the bottle due to the secondary fermentation.

You could also just go with not degassing but this is more trial and error and at best would only give you minimalist fizz.

So it seems quite straight forward then to would not the cloudiness clear after a few weeks though or just pour a bit carefully

You would need to pour all of the bottle in one go into the glasses for as soon as you turn the bottle back upright the sediment gets disturbed to much, no different than priming beer in a bottle, the only other way is forced carbonation (think sodastream) which would give you clear fizz.

When you bottle prime (add more sugar to create carbonation) the sugar will ferment and leave sediment on the bottle bottom, to prevent it clouding the beer/wine/cider you need to let it sit in the fridge for a month (this will depend on the yeast) to allow it to compact and stick to the bottle a bit. When you open a bottle and start pouring it you pretty much need to pour the lot in one go or else the beer/wine/cider will swill back over the compacted yeast which will then cloud it, the clouding is made worse due to the high fizz of wine, it isn't an issue if you don't care about it but with bubbly wine it doesn't look good. You could use something like a sodastream to force carbonate the wine using there bottles, that way at least you get sparkling clear wine though this isn't something i have ever tried.

My father used to do this; use hollow plastic stoppers turn the bottle upside down to trap sediment, flip the bottle after a few weeks rapidily removing the stopper and turning up and then recorking with a proper cork. Same method as chewie with sugar and champayne yeast, it would work except his wine wasn't much cop :)

Something like these he used: https://www.balliihoo.co.uk/plastic...html?awid=gs&gclid=CP2C29XO7dICFRG6Gwodgs8Bjg

Latest posts

Back