Woodfordes Wherry Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 2nd kit, 1st two can (1st kit was BB Porter).

I just followed the very simple instructions.

Just syphoned this to a pressure barrel, primed with 125g golden syrup, initial tasting and I am extremely impressed, nice and hoppy.

I can hardly wait two weeks to sample properly, meanwhile its a Norfolk Nog follwed by a 2x Brewferm Diablo for Xmass.

Just came to kegging this. This is my first 2 can kit. Was quite happy with most of the 1 can kits I've brewed. But, from the sample of this, this is something different! Tasted really nice at such a young age, and the smell is much better than most 1 can kits... Can't wait to start testing this :) SG was 1.045 and FG was 1.012. Was virtually completely clear when came to kegging, and I only crashed cooled it last night down to around 10'c, so was probably quite clear beforehand (but I didn't test before, as took a reading about 3 days ago and was still the same)...

Must say the difference between any single can kit and the more expensive two can kits such as the Woodfordes range, Milestone, Muntons etc I have used is dramatic IMO :thumb:
The drinks I have made have tasted very very good, and not a hint of 'homebrew' about them - they taste and look like they have been served over a bar in a pub, except they have come out of my shed :cool:

It's the old adage - you get what you pay for :thumb:

:cheers:

hello,
shipped out this kit with some belongings as currently living overseas and can't get a good pint unless I pay a small mortgage each time.
Sounds like a brought the right homebrew kit, but forgot to check its all there when I purchased it.
Does anyone have a copy of detailed instructions with pictures as I am a complete newbie to this.

Thanks
Martin A :?:

Hi martin! When you say you bought the kit, did you mean that you bought the beer kit only, or did you buy it as part of a brewing kit?

Do you have all of the buckets and paraphenalia etc?

Had this bottled for about 3 weeks now. I was a bit worried after bottling that I had left VWP in the bottles (I had put the bottles in the dish washer with a small amount of VWP to sterilise, got bored after about an hour of the cycle and just opened the washer, forgetting that it might not have rinsed!) I tried a bottle a few days ago and it tastes great! None if the 'home brew twang' that previous kits have had. Have some of SWMBO's family coming up for the weekend so will get stuck into it then!

I made this a while ago, and it's been conditioning now for about 3 weeks. Tried some couple of days ago. Blimey, this is amazing stuff compared to the single can kits I done before! Looking forward to getting some more two can kits done! As others said, no twang at all!

I've held off brewing a Wherry before: always been one to go against the grain :twisted: , so rather than being my first or second kit, it was no.16 before I got round to doing it (being cheap in Wilkinsons convinced me). Put it on just before going away for summer hols, so probably not the best ,as the first week was cool and the second week was that one hot week of 2012, however after an OG of 1040 it was down to 1014 when I got back after 2 weeks, gave it a stir and it was down to 1010 after a few more days. The longest I've left any kit in the FV, 16 days.

Have to say that this is one fine beer, despite still being very young. I've tried lots of 1 and 2 can kits, and this is definately up there with the best of the 2 can kits IMHO, and it can only get better. Looking forward to letting it mature and then sampling it at it's best. So I was wrong: despite being the automatic choice for many new brewers, this is a rather fine pint. To date, I think only the Extract brew kits I've tried (with boiled hops) beat it, although sometimes you don't always want something with that much flavour. Definately a winner to do again. :D

Back to Extract next, Way To Amarillo American IPA going on tomorrow (http://www.brewuk.co.uk/store/beerkits/ ... -pack.html) :cheers:

As with all the above comments, this is a truely fantastic drinkable beer which I prefer over 95% of pub beers, 10/10.

Woodfordes Wherry is my favorite beer to drink in a pub, so brewing the kit was an obvious choice.

As my first attempt at homebrewing I found it very easy to do and it has come out as a superb pint. I bottled 10 pints and put the other 30 in a pressure barrel.
The bottles I found to be a little sweet for my liking but have since been told it will take a bit longer to condition in a bottle so I will drink the barrel first.

Following on from this I have just started a "Nelsons Revenge" so fingers crossed for this one too.

Wherry is a lovely pint, i have only tried it from a Barrel as i cant be bothered bottling and it takes 4 weeks to to be very good.

It still think st Peters Ruby has the edge, i've just started a barrel thats 3 weeks old and its gorgeous with a lovely finish.

I also have Sundew at 4 weeks in the barrel, now this is a different beer altogether, its light and smooth with a lovely zingy taste and a pleasant citrousy finish. Not everyones cup of tea but a pleasant beer on a summers evening.

having tried a lot of brews the two can version is the best way to make pub quality beer from a kit and for me Ruby Red Ale is the king. I alternate Ruby, wherry, Ruby, something else, Ruby and so on.

Following the instructions i wrote on the Sundew page i get perfect beer everytime.

Russ

Just bottled my first Wherry - took a cheeky snifter and it tastes terrific!

Please, oh please let the next weeks pass quickly!!

87912905.jpg
[/URL]

MartinC said:
Following on from this I have just started a "Nelsons Revenge" so fingers crossed for this one too.

By far the best i've tasted so far, beats the wherry IMO.
The Wherry was very nice though.
My bottles only lasted 3 weeks :oops:

as Oldstout said you get what you pay for.

Toucans are on a different planet compared to most one can kits, ( although there are one or two exceptions ) but even with a good one can kit I think they are improved by doubling the kit when its made.

St. Peters RRA has been far away my best tasting brew and I will be making this as my standard brew, it suits me fine.
Last 2 kits bought together at my lhbs was a RRA and Old Conkerwood, the owner and good AG brewer complimented me on choice as he expressed the opinion they were 2 of the best kit brews around, Conkerwood being his personal favourite. ( Mines still in its 2nd FV at the moment.)

As yet not tasted a Wherry so I cannot comment on them, and am currently waiting for a Munton's Midas Touch Golden Ale to condition a bit longer before trying.

So for me its a big thumbs up for toucans and I feel the extra cost is more than recouped in the quality of the brews. I'd rather save up another week than just buy a standard 1 can kit.

piddledribble said:
I feel the extra cost is more than recouped in the quality of the brews. I'd rather save up another week than just buy a standard 1 can kit.

:thumb:

Andyhull said:
piddledribble said:
I feel the extra cost is more than recouped in the quality of the brews. I'd rather save up another week than just buy a standard 1 can kit.

:thumb:

1 pint of quality beer is worth 5 pints of gnats P

My Wherry has now been bottled/ in the barrel for 3 weeks and it is every bit as good as you would get in a pub. I would definitely make it again

Lads, objectively....how long in the bottle before sampling a snifter? Dont want to waste beer by drinking it too young but very keen taste. I can wait. What is the 'ultimate' time to leave it in bottles before cracking one open?

Rich747 said:
Lads, objectively....how long in the bottle before sampling a snifter? Dont want to waste beer by drinking it too young but very keen taste. I can wait. What is the 'ultimate' time to leave it in bottles before cracking one open?

Mine are around 3 months old now, and they are fantastic. But I would happily have drunk them at 3 weeks, if you can wait though, it's worth it

Latest posts

Back