Badger Poachers Choice... pls pls.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I must admit that I am a Scottish Ale fan with McEwans No1 Champion Ale as my big favourite but I have since got a large taste of this delicious beer Badger Poachers Choice, I really would like to make something close to it. I know they use Pale, Crystal and Chocolate malts and Admiral Hops but not really sure about the liqourice flavour. Any help or suggestions would be fantastic as I,m sure a few others would like to brew this as well. All the best Buster

BigYin said:
Cheers BigYin, I see that one ealier as I was looking myself, I,m slowly building up a recipe to try, I,ve pinched a few bits from Marc Ollosson a bit from Dave Line and Graham Wheeler as well but I am struggling with the Damson bit, my idea is that Badgers use Extracts maybe. I thought perhaps using a Dandelion and Burdock cordial in the boil around 15 mins before flame out. Similar sort of flavour maybe. I,ll post back with my final recipe unless anyone wants to add their ideas, open to suggestions :thumb:

I used to work at that Brewery in Blandford St Mary many years ago. It may interest you to know at the time i was there they made the normal bitter, Tanglefoot, PIMM's and Panda Pops - perhaps they have found some of their ingredients from the materials from their other divisions.

I might pop in the brewery shop on my way thru next month on my way home and see if i can obtain anymore information.

caerleon said:
I used to work at that Brewery in Blandford St Mary many years ago. It may interest you to know at the time i was there they made the normal bitter, Tanglefoot, PIMM's and Panda Pops - perhaps they have found some of their ingredients from the materials from their other divisions.

I might pop in the brewery shop on my way thru next month on my way home and see if i can obtain anymore information.

Nice work 007. :thumb:

caerleon said:

Any update on this yet, I really want a bash at this.

Well I managed to get hold of some Damson granules over the Xmas period so I am going to crack on with a mish-mash of a recipe on this. As soon as I have a spare minute or 2 I will post it.

caerleon said:

Just wondered if you ever did pop in there, every little helps.

Please add me to the list of those that are waiting for an update :)

Love these heavier beers. I am big fan of Hobgoblin, but Poachers Choice is simply great, a real complexity of flavours

this is by far my fav tipple at the moment but being a total novice I assume I don't have a cat in hells chance of making this? Obviously need to follow some pro out there...

For a novice, wherry kit plus couple kg of plums and some liquorice makes a very good beer. Not an exact clone, but similar flavours and complexity. Made this very successfully.

hey schraderbrau, any change of walking me through the process? Have a couple of Wherry kits here and was wondering what I could do to them and this sounds perfect ;)

Oh, I just mentioned on another thread that I had tried this. I used 800g plums and 6 pontefract cakes in a wherry kit and while it tastes ok, it is VERY cloudy and the flavours in the badgers are a lot stronger.

Yeah, no probs:

1. Wherry as per instructions, as normal.
2. When it is near the end of fermentation pasteurise 2kg of plums (destone, quarter them and heat at 65 for 30 mins in a pan in water)
3. Drain off water, add plums to a clean FV. Rack the wherry onto plums.
4. Add liquorice- the type that looks like a stick is best.
5. Add 2 teaspoons of Pectolase- £1ish from any home brew shop
5. Leave for 5-7 days. Proceed with bottling as normal.

Aethelstan- I'm guessing you didn't add pectolase- It will be hazy if you pasteurise without it. This will clear it nicely-mine never cloud.
Flavours- Using more plums will help. My Golden glory is definitely stronger flavourwise, because I use an essence rather than actual peaches. I have looked for, but never found, a suitable damson or plum essence to use.

If anyone knows of a suitable essence I'd love to know to refine this "Easy Poachers" clone further!

Hi schraderbrau
Got a werry just finishing fermentation ready for secondary tomorrow fancy trying this, daft question but the liquorice is it any or the old one that looks like a stick of wood

I use the stick of wood! Any would do though- few drops of essence or even 40 grams of liquorice sweets (pontefract cakes or similar) dropped in impart the right flavour.

I will definitely try this again, it seems I used around half the plums and licorice that is recommended here, and the flavours are not as strong as I would like. I got my quantities from a google search before I found these forums, so I suspect it was for one can, or half the kit.

Apologies to all...

I didnt manage to get home to Dorset in the end as i lost my job et al no cash.

But i am passing the Brewery tomorrow on the way to see the kids and i will try and get in and find some more information.

C

Latest posts

Back