Sanitising bottles in dishwasher

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Usually YouTube has videos on what goes wrong & how to fix it.it certainly cleared the 'check water' error light I had on my old Bosch.

In my case it told me to tilt the machine 45' to reset a sensor & then run dishwasher cleaner through it

Mine is sort of similar...

I rinse bottles after emptying with the jet tap thingy. And then I spray the inside with vodka and hen they go into a crate - ready to be drained and then refilled. That's it. Never had an infected bottle of beer.

Grotty ones get caustic and a bottle brush.

Last edited:
All of this seems like much more hassle than using a bottling tree and vinator filled with star San.

For me the pain in the hoop is washing and rinsing.

I always put a bit of water in a bottle I've just poured. Swirl it around you get yeast out just before dishwasher. a cold water double rinse and finally in the oven and capped with a used once star saned cap. One gusher and 3-4 cracked bottles out of 4000+ bottles and some of the cracked bottles were probably not designed to handle anything other than low pressure - ales etc.

Last edited:
Bottles are rinsed to get rid of any sediment that might be in there then a dishwasher cycle then starsan just before bottling. Works a tread with no infection. Use decent dishwasher tabs, they contain sodium percarbonate as an active ingredient anyway. Cant fit many in the dishwasher so not a great way of doing bottles...tend not to bottle these days anyway. Too much of a faff.

I rinse straight after use. Then bottling day star san .. never had an infection. Once in a blue moon they go in the dishwasher on a steam setting. (Removing the rubber on the flip tops).

Do you line up the bottles with the jets in the dishwasher. Or are most of then just really clean on the outside?
This is my biggest query with cleaning in the dishwasher. I used to use the dishwasher and slotted the bottles over the rods/spikes on the dishwasher drawer thingies so they drained. The bottles were clean and I just used the heat to sanitise them (70° cycle).

I was never sure that it actually washed the insides.

I've now switched to starsan and it's far easier

I stand the bottles up as upright as possible...I use the longer prongs on the dishwasher racks and pack them in closely so they support each other. The spray from the arms seems to get up the bottles no problems. There have been times when I've put bottles in that people have given me that haven't been cleaned out with pretty stubborn crud at the bottom and they come out clean as a whistle. However I cant fit that many bottles because I don't have enough long prongs but I don't bottle whole batches anyway so not an issue. Not really feasible if you were wanting to put a whole batch's worth of bottles through. I also use the dishwasher for any small parts and fittings.

By the say starsan is a sanitiser and wont clean and sterilise. its the second part of a two part cleaning and sanitisation process.

Back