Marmarlade Melomel

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tau

Landlord.
Reaction score
450g Orange Marmarlade with chuncky zest peices 3lb Honey (81% Sugar content) 500g Sugar (giving an overall content of 1.8Kg) Harris Yeast (rated to 18%) low foaming. 3 tsp nutrient 1 tsp citric acid 1 tsp Pectolase & Two tea bags for tannin 14.8.16 Simmered, after adding boiling water to honey and removed wax. Added Marm' and stirred, until disolved. Added tea to sugar in Dj and added boild water to disolve. All very well at this point then added honey/marm. Thought to myself oh should've (think that might be a specsavers copyright breach..lol) waited until it had cooled a bit. Was using the old brown dj and couldn't see how much liquid was in there, thought it was at the shoulder, otherwise would have added some cold water. Put in cold water was ok at first, then as I filled the sink Crack, dj went, big spilt right up the side of the dj. The temp' diferential was too great usually put them in water in at about 70c. Anyway tried to pick the dj up from underneath it held together for me to pour into pot, then had to seive out the contents big chuncks of orange peel, couldn't see any glass think was ok. Still smells very orange like, pity I lost the most of the peel/zest. Anyway fermenting away and the old 40yr old brown dj has gone to recycling heaven, smelling of honey and oranges.

Could've been a serious mop up day so "Lucky! Lucky!"

But you must've known that the pot DJ could've cracked so you should've made sure that the temperature was equalised before the DJ cracked; but as my Mum would've said ...

"Should've, would've and could've don't butter no parsnips."

... but then again, she must've been born before American companies started trying to patent common words used in Britain hundreds of years before they even found the place! :doh: :doh:

I think and feel that it will be glass shard free, if it isn't I'll try and post from A&E lol :lol:

Could've been a serious mop up day so "Lucky! Lucky!"

But you must've known that the pot DJ could've cracked so you should've made sure that the temperature was equalised before the DJ cracked; but as my Mum would've said ...

"Should've, would've and could've don't butter no parsnips."

... but then again, she must've been born before American companies started trying to patent common words used in Britain hundreds of years before they even found the place! :doh: :doh:

Is that true about American companiestrying to patent common words? Wouldn't surprise me.

Apparently, the country of India had to go to court in the USA to stop an American agricultural firms from patenting the spice Turmeric! :doh:

Had the patent not been challenged, everyone would have had to pay a "royalty" to the American company; and the Indian government objected to paying out a royalty on something that they have been growing in India for hundreds of years! :thumb:

Well just tested, can see it's still fermenting after 45 days. og. was around 1.146/7 had dropped to 1.035 giving 14.7% abv, the orange flavour had receed a little into the background so put 280g of same marmarlade into microwave and heated until melted, weight dropped during heating process to 240g, 200g actually went into dj, ruffly 105g of sugar. Will leave for a fornight maybe three weeks and check sg and possibly stop a little earlier than the planned 17.8% I was aiming for and hopefully a deeper orange flavour will be present from the extra marmalade.

Well just tested, can see it's still fermenting after 45 days. og. was around 1.146/7 had dropped to 1.035 giving 14.7% abv, the orange flavour had receed a little into the background so put 280g of same marmarlade into microwave and heated until melted, weight dropped during heating process to 240g, 200g actually went into dj, ruffly 105g of sugar. Will leave for a fornight maybe three weeks and check sg and possibly stop a little earlier than the planned 17.8% I was aiming for and hopefully a deeper orange flavour will be present from the extra marmalade.

Do you have any pics of this wonderful sounding brew ?

Do you have any pics of this wonderful sounding brew ?

No haven't got pic's, still has quite some sediment in it and fermenting, nothing special looking, amber honey colour - use your imagination you lazy sod :lol:

No haven't got pic's, still has quite some sediment in it and fermenting, nothing special looking, amber honey colour - use your imagination you lazy sod :lol:

im not lazy, he says posting from bed ahaha

+ why microwave it and destroy the flavour ? a couple mins in a pan/saucer would have done it on low heat!

Microwave saved time and dishes, no change to flavour. Took another s.g today reading 1038, so at 15.36% (og should be at 1.155 with added sugar from extra marmarlade.) Smell is very orange, will leave for a couple more days then rack and stop and top up.

Bottled the Juneberry melomel with added 340g of honey and it did the trick and masked the extra alcohol, still has kick but no longer tastes like meths.

Microwave saved time and dishes, no change to flavour. Took another s.g today reading 1038, so at 15.36% (og should be at 1.155 with added sugar from extra marmarlade.) Smell is very orange, will leave for a couple more days then rack and stop and top up.

Bottled the Juneberry melomel with added 340g of honey and it did the trick and masked the extra alcohol, still has kick but no longer tastes like meths.

Sounds lush - another couple brews on the to-do list after I find time :/

Tested today, sg 1035 which gives 15.75% abv according to the calculator might be a little more. Tasted good alcohol kick and strong but not overpowering to orange flavour, if I leave it have the feeling that like my juneberry melomel it will be overpowered by ethanol. So going rack and stop today and add finings tomorrow or sunday.

Edit Friday: racked onto crushed camden and tsp of K.sobate. Did not top up with water!

Edit Sunday: Just added finings.

450g Orange Marmarlade with chuncky zest peices 3lb Honey (81% Sugar content) 500g Sugar (giving an overall content of 1.8Kg) Harris Yeast (rated to 18%) low foaming. 3 tsp nutrient 1 tsp citric acid 1 tsp Pectolase & Two tea bags for tannin 14.8.16 Simmered, after adding boiling water to honey and removed wax. Added Marm' and stirred, until disolved. Added tea to sugar in Dj and added boild water to disolve. All very well at this point then added honey/marm. Thought to myself oh should've (think that might be a specsavers copyright breach..lol) waited until it had cooled a bit. Was using the old brown dj and couldn't see how much liquid was in there, thought it was at the shoulder, otherwise would have added some cold water. Put in cold water was ok at first, then as I filled the sink Crack, dj went, big spilt right up the side of the dj. The temp' diferential was too great usually put them in water in at about 70c. Anyway tried to pick the dj up from underneath it held together for me to pour into pot, then had to seive out the contents big chuncks of orange peel, couldn't see any glass think was ok. Still smells very orange like, pity I lost the most of the peel/zest. Anyway fermenting away and the old 40yr old brown dj has gone to recycling heaven, smelling of honey and oranges.

I feel for you mate. I cracked 2 demijohns like that in one night. Was not impressed with myself. Must of been hammered. :doh:

Back