The crossmyloof brewery yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I started a Punk IPA clone yesterday with the American Ale yeast - it was fermenting like crazy within 9 hours. Fastest start I've ever seen.

I'm pretty sure it'll be hoppier. How many grams of dry hopping is required to this one out of interest? (Size of batch too please)

I'm pretty sure it'll be hoppier. How many grams of dry hopping is required to this one out of interest? (Size of batch too please)

20l batch, but from the 2007 version recipe so no dry hops at all.

Grain and hop bill as follows:

5300 g Crisp Pale Ale Malt
35 g Ahtanum Pellets
60 g Chinook Pellets
35 g HALLERTAUER (MITTLEFRUH) PELLETS
18 g Motueka Pellets

20l batch, but from the 2007 version recipe so no dry hops at all.

Grain and hop bill as follows:

5300 g Crisp Pale Ale Malt
35 g Ahtanum Pellets
60 g Chinook Pellets
35 g HALLERTAUER (MITTLEFRUH) PELLETS
18 g Motueka Pellets

My lord. Obscure hops. I can't believe no dry hops? I guess you don't have to follow to the t though.

My lord. Obscure hops. I can't believe no dry hops? I guess you don't have to follow to the t though.

This is from the DIY Dog recipe book so apparently should be pretty close to authentic. I was surprised there was no dry hop too - there is in the 2010-present version. I didn't think the hops were terribly exotic by today's standards. Very new world, but nothing experimental. The Hallertauer addition is a substitute for Crystal hops which Malt Miller doesn't carry in pellet form.

I'll be really interested to see how this turns out in comparison with the real 2010 version of Punk. I was disappointed when they changed the recipe and lowered the ABV. I thought it lost some of its citrus pucker, so I hope this is a good facsimile. I'm concerned that the hop schedule isn't big enough for such a hoppy beer though.

I started a Punk IPA clone yesterday with the American Ale yeast - it was fermenting like crazy within 9 hours. Fastest start I've ever seen.

I've done 4 brews with the US Pale, 3 of which were off and running within 8hrs. But the 4th one made yesterday was kicking off at 5hrs. Is that some type of record? It's been going mad since but now, 24 hrs later is perceptibly slowing. I lurve this yeast.

TBH I just put a Stout on with Notty and thats banging away, 6 hours in. Didnt think to check earlier.

My chub1 chinook/cascade IPA was down o 1.010 from 1.072 last night after pitching the US yeast last week. It's a 10l batch. It still had a fair bit of suspended yeast but that's not an issue for me.
Took the belt off, dry hopped. Bottle this Friday. Very happy it's got to a decent FG.

Pitched 2 packs of US pale ale yeast onto 22l at 19c and fermentation started after 2 hours. Finished in 2 days but leaving 2 weeks. Drinking some Kolsch which is amazing. Mrs thought it was Lager and a months conditioning has worked wonders. Brewed a mild and a brown porter with the UK ale yeast and cant say i like them. Something not quite right about them and i wonder if i should of pitched more yeast as only used 1 pack on those. Wondering if many of my past failures have been down to a poor fermentation and not pitching enough yeast.
The Mead yeast has cleared after about 6 weeks with no finings and the port i made with the high alcohol yeast is very promising.

My chub1 chinook/cascade IPA was down o 1.010 from 1.072 last night after pitching the US yeast last week. It's a 10l batch. It still had a fair bit of suspended yeast but that's not an issue for me.
Took the belt off, dry hopped. Bottle this Friday. Very happy it's got to a decent FG.

That's really good to know. I was thinking of doing a parti gyle and make a DIPA and an IPA or a pale ale. Cheers.

I would rack it off for three days or so if you have a spare FV:thumb:

Pitched 2 packs of US pale ale yeast onto 22l at 19c and fermentation started after 2 hours. Finished in 2 days but leaving 2 weeks. Drinking some Kolsch which is amazing. Mrs thought it was Lager and a months conditioning has worked wonders. Brewed a mild and a brown porter with the UK ale yeast and cant say i like them. Something not quite right about them and i wonder if i should of pitched more yeast as only used 1 pack on those. Wondering if many of my past failures have been down to a poor fermentation and not pitching enough yeast.
The Mead yeast has cleared after about 6 weeks with no finings and the port i made with the high alcohol yeast is very promising.

I'm hearing a fair bit on underpitching and tbh this was overpitched but finally after what seems an eternity I got a decent reading. I think 3 quid ain't bad for 20grams. Will do like you and consider two packs for my next big batch

I'm hearing a fair bit on underpitching and tbh this was overpitched but finally after what seems an eternity I got a decent reading. I think 3 quid ain't bad for 20grams. Will do like you and consider two packs for my next big batch

Cheers mate good idea. I buy 10packs at once and its under £8 delivered so might as well as saves me worrying about it. Heard beers over 1070 really benefit from nutrient https://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=456 so going to ask Steven if they can source some as this seems expensive and not readily available.

Cheers mate good idea. I buy 10packs at once and its under £8 delivered so might as well as saves me worrying about it. Heard beers over 1070 really benefit from nutrient https://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=456 so going to ask Steven if they can source some as this seems expensive and not readily available.

https://www.biggerjugs.co.uk/search?q=Nutrient

Hope this link works. I think they're postage is a bit steep so the bigger pack might be more worth while. I've used it but tbh with my under pitching in the last few partial mashes I haven't had the full benefit

Such a task. And I could be getting another one on. Surely another batch is more important..
I honestly don't know if it matters/makes any difference or not!. I rack mine off and leave for a few days before i bottle. and normally end up with very clear beers!. You pays ya money and yakes ya choice:mrgreen:

I honestly don't know if it matters/makes any difference or not!. I rack mine off and leave for a few days before i bottle. and normally end up with very clear beers!. You pays ya money and yakes ya choice:mrgreen:

The Pale Ale yeast will clear without racking. I don't cold crash it either and its clear when very cold after 4/5 weeks.

https://www.biggerjugs.co.uk/search?q=Nutrient

Hope this link works. I think they're postage is a bit steep so the bigger pack might be more worth while. I've used it but tbh with my under pitching in the last few partial mashes I haven't had the full benefit

That's for wine as far as i am aware. Beer nutrient should have other stuff in it apart from Diammonium Phosphate like zinc, magnesium etc. I started a thread on it http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=69353 but i not really sure what peoples conclusions were. I just never got around to buying the wyeast one. Cant say about high gravity beers as only brewed a handful. Half were really cack and the others i used very large starters with.

Latest posts

Back