Brewafternoon: Christmas TC

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roddy

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi all

Inspired by pvt_uk again, I embarked on an epic adventure to find some mulled wine 'tea bags'... sadly to be in vain

In line with my usual impatience when I get a hankering to put a brew on, I did it anyway with some bits and pieces from the spice rack... so in went..

21L of lidl vitafit AJ
1L strong tea (hot)
5tsp pectolase
Zest of 3 oranges
2tsp nutmeg
2tsp all spice
2 x star anise
6 x cloves
Topped up with tap water to 25L

Looks a bit like pond water 😂

Temp ca 20deg
Sg 1.038
Est abv when primed ca 5.5 %

Used cider yeast with sweetener from eBay

Bunged in brew cupboard... sorted 😀

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Whacked on my 25l tonight but using the bags [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji39]
I've only got a few bottles of the 5l batch left - it's scrumptious !!
Staring longingly now at my 5l FV's wondering what to do [emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi all

Inspired by pvt_uk again, I embarked on an epic adventure to find some mulled wine 'tea bags'... sadly to be in vain

In line with my usual impatience when I get a hankering to put a brew on, I did it anyway with some bits and pieces from the spice rack... so in went..

21L of lidl vitafit AJ
1L strong tea (hot)
5tsp pectolase
Zest of 3 oranges
2tsp nutmeg
2tsp all spice
2 x star anise
6 x cloves
Topped up with tap water to 25L

Looks a bit like pond water 😂

Temp ca 20deg
Sg 1.038
Est abv when primed ca 5.5 %

Used cider yeast with sweetener from eBay

Bunged in brew cupboard... sorted 😀

Post your yeast name etc on the yeast sticky on brewdays forum.

Beside the above what the !!!
5tsp pectolase

What are you expect too appear from those herbs?

Post your yeast name etc on the yeast sticky on brewdays forum.

Beside the above what the !!!
5tsp pectolase

What are you expect too appear from those herbs?
That's just the stuff that'll be in the bags mate... err probably

Go and see what's in the 'tea bags' ! 😯

Down to a shade below 1.000 so will bottle this one during the week

Wee bit clovey but should mellow out 😀

Supping on my flat blueberry tc tonight and wishing I'd added more priming sugar, taste is great, bubbles are sh... less than I'd like 😯

That's just the stuff that'll be in the bags mate... err probably

Go and see what's in the 'tea bags' ! 😯

I should not post drunk:oops:

With prebottled juices that are clear or expected to be clear 2tsp for 5 gallons would be fine, as most of the juices have already been subjected to a fining process, except cloudy apple juice. When using cloudy juices or fruit it help extract the juice and then seperates the cell clumps into single cells for clearing can also help break down the cell membranes. In a lot of clear juices only a little pectolase is needed.

Oh you top of brewdays is a sticky for yeasts, as you use a cider yeast with sweetner would you mind posting its name and any other info for it for other members. Cheers :)

Sure thing mate...

Talking about posting drunk, I thought I was replying to pvt's post when it was actually you 😵

Down to a shade below 1.000 so will bottle this one during the week

Wee bit clovey but should mellow out 😀

Supping on my flat blueberry tc tonight and wishing I'd added more priming sugar, taste is great, bubbles are sh... less than I'd like 😯

How long did the blueberry tc take to condition + how long till it is just about dri hmm able ?

The blueberry was crystal clear just a few days after bottling but I'd left it in primary for a week other so longer than I usually do (still only about 3 weeks in primary altogether)

I left mine in the warm for a couple of weeks to carb up (the little that it did) and it's very pleasant, just lacking in the fizz department, but that will get very slightly better with a bit more time

I accept that [emoji23]

To be fair that was me last night mate - had a gaggle of folks round sampling some of the home brew - I think I lost the ability to talk late in the evening lol !

Not a bad critique though, they all seemed to enjoy ! [emoji106]

Bottled this bad boy tonight, batch primed with 350g of soft brown sugar dissolved in some hot water.....

Forgot to get white sugar, but the brown should give it a nice tang.... liquid was almost like and tasted of treacle 😃

46d37cca2062df7ce5ec6ee51fd30463.jpg

Bottled this bad boy tonight, batch primed with 350g of soft brown sugar dissolved in some hot water.....

Forgot to get white sugar, but the brown should give it a nice tang.... liquid was almost like and tasted of treacle [emoji2]

Possibly a daft question... but do you use brown sugars in equal quantity to how you would use white ?

You are ahead of me Roddy....I put mine on a day before you I think and it is still bubbling in the cellar. I guess the cool temp has made my fermentation slower. I plan to rack to secondary this weekend, and hopefully bottle (at least one DJ) a week before Christmas. Should just about be drinkable in time.....

Yer cooler will slow it down a bit for sure....

I've managed to stick an old oil filled rad with an on/off timer in my cupboard so the temp is pretty constant 😀

Good for brewing, bad for my liver haha

airlock activity seemed to stop yesterday, so will rack to secondary and take hydrometer readings this weekend. If they are steady I will bottle a few on Sunday night such that they can be ready and hopefully clear for Christmas eve (!)

Looking good

Bottles firm to the squeeze.. check
Sediment settling at the bottom... check
Starting to clear from the neck down... check

Should be good to sample by next weekend and perfect for Kwissmas 😃

Latest posts

Back