DIYDog 2017

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers Chris, Yeah the recipe looks pretty tame, which was one reason I brewed it, its the first one I've made in a new one pot boiler and I didn't want to blow shed loads on hops and it turn out poor because I'm not familiar with the equipment.

After a month in the bottle this is outstanding. The aroma is intense - it's like undiluted Ribena!
I really do need to get this on. I have a Rye IPA to do next then a Tropic Thunder Clone. Will need to be ASA straight after ready for the summer!

Tropic Thunder is a lovely beer, but I do think I'll have to get on that Albino Squid Assassin recipe. What's the brew length for that Malt Miller ingredient box?

Tropic Thunder is a lovely beer, but I do think I'll have to get on that Albino Squid Assassin recipe. What's the brew length for that Malt Miller ingredient box?

20 litres. If you download the DIY Dog PDF all the details are there.

Interestingly they seem to be using Pale Ale Propino malt in the new beers. Furthermore their initial Small Batch Vermont IPA doesn't use Vermont IPA yeast. I'd like to query that one.

Interestingly they seem to be using Pale Ale Propino malt in the new beers. Furthermore their initial Small Batch Vermont IPA doesn't use Vermont IPA yeast. I'd like to query that one.

Interesting that the first version #256 doesn't but version 2 (#262) does.

Also their NEIPA with Cloudwater uses the Vermont yeast but many other recipes by other people use a London Ale yeast

Hmmm... their Self Assembly Pope recipe seems to be assuming 92% brewhouse efficiency.

Hmmm... their Self Assembly Pope recipe seems to be assuming 92% brewhouse efficiency.

Is it my imagination or are a LOT of the newer beers assuming unlikely rates if efficiency? I've just done the Old World IPA with 6.75kg of fermentable grain and ended up with an OG of 1072 (3 points above target of1069). The Cloudwater New England IPA collaboration reckons on an OG of 1065 from 3.79kg of fermentables. Am I missing something?

Is it my imagination or are a LOT of the newer beers assuming unlikely rates if efficiency? I've just done the Old World IPA with 6.75kg of fermentable grain and ended up with an OG of 1072 (3 points above target of1069). The Cloudwater New England IPA collaboration reckons on an OG of 1065 from 3.79kg of fermentables. Am I missing something?

It must be a mistake.

The cynic in me thinks they might add odd efficiency values in there to add to the ambiguity :P

Might have to give the recipe for Coffee and Cigarettes a go. I'm wanting to do an imperial stout for next Christmas, if I amp it up a little I reckon it could come out quite nicely, no barrels though :(

I'm thinking of doing the Hop Fiction recipe (screenshot from DIYDog attached). It looks pretty straightforward, which is good as I am very new to AG brewing. But I have a couple of questions about timings if anyone can help?

The recipe doesn't mention mash time, or mash out. So how long do you think for the mash, and should I do a mash out?

The beginning of the recipe book says 60min boil time for ales, and 90 mins for lagers. I'm not sure if hop fiction is an ale or lager or somewhere in-between.

Hop additions: 'Start' and 'End' are fairly obvious. For those added at the end, do I need to let them stand before cooling? Not in this recipe, but in others, do you add 'Middle' hops literally half way through the boil?

Finally, malt: Recipe says 'Pale Ale'. Is there any specific type of pale ale malt I should try and use?

Sorry, many questions from an All Grain noob.

Screen Shot 2017-03-16 at 16.21.43.png

The mash time is 60 minutes unless otherwise stated. I've done a few of the DIY Dog recipes now and have never done a mash out. No detrimental effects noticed.

Hop Fiction is an ale (there's a clue where it say "US style pale ale", and in the choice of an ale rather than a lager yeast ;) )

I usually add my "middle" hops at around 20 minutes for the DIY Dog recipes. Again, they've always come out well.

Each type of pale malt will give a slightly different flavour, but all will make tasty beer. Given the hop schedule the malt flavour will be well in the background anyway.

Good luck, and let us know how it comes out...

(there's a clue where it say "US style pale ale", and in the choice of an ale rather than a lager yeast ;) )

I don't know how they expect me to spot that little clue with it being hidden away in the title in massive bold font. :whistle:

Thanks for the recipe advice, very helpful indeed. I think I'll try and start this one at the weekend.

I saw that Sainsbury's has Hop Fiction in cans (�£6 for 4) if anyone wanted to try the real brew for themselves. It's very tasty.

Latest posts

Back