DIYDog 2017

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As much as it's nice of them to release all this info about their recipes I do wish they'd be more careful with the details. As people mentions the efficiency required for Self-Assembly Pope is a bit optimistic, but if you look the weights in kg and lb for the wheat malt don't match in any way shape or form.

I was just checking out the sem-skimmed occultist recipe and it has 2 issues. First I noticed was how do you get 70 IBUs from 10g of Magnum hops... I tried the beer a few days ago and I wouldn't have said it was that bitter. So to test my theory I put the recipe in the grainfather calculator and i'm right, its only 10.4 IBUs (jet black heart has a similar issue and 2 different published IBU values...). But more startling was that the grain bill gives an OG of 1.127 where you're meant to hit 1.080.

Nice source of inspiration and all but I've kinda lost faith in the reliability of these recipes. Having said that they still make tasty beer even if they need adjustments.

Anyone else noticed similar errors or have I just been unlucky in the brews I've looked closer at?

The Semi-skimmed Occultist is supposed to be an oatmeal milk stout. Thing is, there's no lactose in the recipe, so it's definitely NOT a milk stout!

Ive printed off a few the sweet stout recipes trying to use for some inspiration. I've ordered semi skimmed Occultist off their site to try and Ive had a bottle of Jet Black Heart earlier in the week that I really liked, especially when I got a lingering chocolate milkshake taste in my mouth.

I've also printed off dead metaphor and black eyed king imp to have a look at what's the same or different in the recipes.

I watched a review of Occultist and also noticed they kept on about the lactose even though the recipe doesn't state it. I'll also have to keep in mind the bills, what I remember from the orginal DIY dog it was the same ibus and ogs were abit squiffy if I directly scaled it.

Ive printed off a few the sweet stout recipes trying to use for some inspiration. I've ordered semi skimmed Occultist off their site to try and Ive had a bottle of Jet Black Heart earlier in the week that I really liked, especially when I got a lingering chocolate milkshake taste in my mouth.

I've also printed off dead metaphor and black eyed king imp to have a look at what's the same or different in the recipes.

I watched a review of Occultist and also noticed they kept on about the lactose even though the recipe doesn't state it. I'll also have to keep in mind the bills, what I remember from the orginal DIY dog it was the same ibus and ogs were abit squiffy if I directly scaled it.
They confirmed on the EFP forum that it should have lactose and will be rectified in an update. They didn't however state how much.

If you check the can of occultist then lactose is listed in the ingredients / allergens. Wonder if they'll also fix the hop/IBU issues.

Back